Viewer Comments: Hiatal Hernia - Self-Care and Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hiatal Hernia:

Hiatal Hernia - Self-Care and Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your hiatal hernia?

Comment from: esined 56, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I have been diagnosed with a hiatal hernia. I recently gained a few pounds, and that's when it got worse. I had to change my diet. No citrus, chocolate, caffeine, tomato or spicy foods. Some over-the-counter medications have caffeine in them, such as Excedrin. So I cut out some of these products and I felt better. Oh, and I do not eat or drink three hours before going to bed. I use extra pillows when sleeping.

Comment from: Miserable, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 11

Since I was about 20, I've had a strange feeling in my lower chest, mostly on the left side. For a long time, I thought there was something wrong with my heart, but there was really never any direct evidence, and it began to be more of a pressure and a constant discomfort under my ribs. No doctor could tell me anything other than "you're fine," and so the mystery continued. Only now at age 29 have I finally gotten an endoscopy. I apparently have a "small" hiatal hernia and "mild" gastritis. All I want is to feel a normal feeling in my body and not bloated, gassy, and on the verge of a heart attack all the time. It just seems as of it's something easy enough to fix but my doctor says there are no good surgeons in Las Vegas who can do the operation. My journey starts here, and hopefully this helps somebody else figure it out.

Comment from: Susan D., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

Suffering from bowel disease, I have had a camera from both directions. When the camera went down, they asked if I was aware I had a hiatal hernia. I said that I wasn't, but as that wasn't what they were looking for, and nothing was mentioned again. I didn't know what the symptoms were! I feel like I have swallowed a Gobstopper, I feel like it's stuck and this then sends pain into my throat, shoulders, chest. I have on occasions took myself off to hospital, thinking I was having a heart attack. I do take lansoprazole 30 mg, this was for acid and feeling sick. I wonder the pain I'm having is from the hernia. I really don't want to start again with hospitals and doctors but it is getting worse! This morning I was trying to be healthy and had some raspberries with muesli. My lips have swollen and I am now walking about with excruciating pain. I know it will pass hopefully soon. I've taken an antihistamine and 2 lansoprazole, 2 Co-codamol and I'm just waiting for the pain to pass!

Comment from: gettingawaywithit, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 12

I am living a life of agony at the moment. I have really bad GERD, pain under ribs radiating into my back and shoulder, extreme bloating and constipation as well as IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) symptoms. The thing that gets me down more than anything is the extreme anxiety. I haven't been diagnosed with a hiatal hernia (HH) yet but I know it is a HH. It affects me every day but the thing that gets me down is the fact my body is screaming at me that there is something wrong and doctors just dismiss it and put it down to stress. More needs to be done.

Comment from: mack, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

I have had bloating, pain in stomach, and pain between shoulder blades since May. I have had all the required tests and a small hiatal hernia was found. I was assured it would never give me problems. Well, I still have the same symptoms I did in May and can't find out why. I burn in abdomen, have chills and sometimes shortness of breath. I have been to several doctors and still no relief. This is no way for anyone to have to live!

Comment from: MINABEE, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 11

I have been so sick. I vomit every day and can't hold down food or liquid. I can't eat or sleep. No medical insurance. I need help. I am 22 feel like I am 90; in bed all day. Reglan and Zofran has been working. I have GERD, hernia and acid reflux. So much acid is in my stomach I can feel it.

Comment from: solar, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 17

There is something you can do that may be helpful. Lay down. Place a heavy book on your abdomen. Slowly lift the book with your stomach as you take deep breaths in. This will allow you to use your diaphragm while breathing and can help getting the stomach to move from under it. You should do this exercise every day. Hope this helps.

Comment from: Sally, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: December 02

I am careful of how much I eat at one time. Instead of three meals a day, I eat six. When I get pain, I take a single Bufferin and 2 Tums.

Must Read Articles Related to Hiatal Hernia

Acid Reflux (GERD)
Acid Reflux Disease (GERD) Acid reflux (GERD) is caused by acid backing up from the stomach. Causes of acid reflux include learn more >>
Barium Swallow
Barium Swallow Barium swallow is a test used to determine causes of painful or difficulty swallowing, and diseases such as GERD, hiatal hernia, ulcers, dysphagia, tumors, or p...learn more >>
GERD FAQs (Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease)
Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) FAQs Acid reflux (GERD) is caused by lifestyle factors (learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hiatal Hernia:

Hiatal Hernia - Symptoms

What are your hiatal hernia symptoms?