Viewer Comments: Hiatal Hernia - Self-Care and Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hiatal Hernia:

Hiatal Hernia - Self-Care and Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your hiatal hernia?

Comment from: Miserable 2, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

I was diagnosed with a small hiatal hernia after having an upper GI series done. I have constant discomfort in the upper abdomen and chest, and I get pain when I lift, bend or get upset or stressed. I also have back pain and should pain, especially at night.

Comment from: Military gal, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I know the feeling! I have had a hiatal hernia for three years now; maybe longer but was just recently diagnosed. I was in the military and used to left heavy objects above my head for 11 years and of course there was a lot of stress. I was advised that once you have this problem; you will always have it!? Well, I was just tested by a VA doctor and he claims I no longer have it? The doctor had me do a Barium swallow and did an upper GI x-ray series that was performed by a radiologist (you drink some contrast material, and x-rays are taken). But...just recently I was rushed to the hospital because of chest pains and shallow breathing! It felt as if something was pressing down on my chest. So I figure the hiatal hernia is back? Or never left. I sleep with my head propped and it helps and I have changed my way of eating and lost weight; however I find that when I left heavy items and am stressed or upset, this brings on the hard pain! I have been in the ER six times in the three years that I found out I had this problem. I am just adjusting to this and try not to bring it on. Sometimes it's difficult. I hope this helps others.

Comment from: Spitfire, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I have suffered from endometriosis and gas pockets since I was 13 years old. Between the female surgeries and colonoscopies, the symptoms have moved into my chest cavity. I find that eating chocolate sets my symptoms off. Within fifteen minutes of eating anything chocolate, gas forms right under my sternum, and it feels like my ribs are going to break off from the pressure. Also, my esophagus starts making gurgling sounds. My newest symptom is pain radiating between my shoulder blades in my back. Once I feel like I am going to vomit, I know that is the turning point for feeling relief, even if I do not get sick. Finally, at the age of forty-two, I have found out that I have a Hiatal Hernia. Sure would have been nice to know this when I was younger. The doctor put me on a limited diet and told me to lose some weight. I am wondering if anyone else has that back pain--it is horrible!! Anyhow, that is it: no chocolate and lose weight.

Comment from: Larry A, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 08

This is advice for "Miserable". Contact the USC Medical Center, Thoracic Surgery Dept, Dr. Hagen in Los Angeles. I've had the same symptoms as you for five years and finally found a general surgeon that takes it seriously, ordered barium swallow, endoscopy and chest X-ray. When hiatal hernia was found, he indicated that he's only seen about eight cases in his career and referred me to USC and Dr. Hagen. Dr. Hagen ordered another endoscopy with a biopsy, a Ph uptake and an esophageal motility test. These tests will determine the treatment plan. Surgery for a hiatal hernia is not common and it's necessary to seek treatment at a regional medical research center such as USC for aggressive treatment. Wish you the best.

Comment from: sunshinemn09, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

My chiropractor diagnosed me with a hiatal hernia months ago. I go in and he fixes it and it comes back. I can't afford to keep going in to have him fix it and it's back right away. I also take Prevacid because I had a bleeding ulcer years ago, but it has not helped my hiatal hernia. I too want to feel normal again. I hate always having this pressure and pain sitting under my ribs. It helps when my husband works on my stomach we found a way he can get rid of the pain and I am able to sleep through most of the night without waking him to do it again. I am starting to eliminate foods and change to caffeine-free coffee to see if that helps. But I'm frustrated by that because I have Celiac Disease and my food is already limited! :( I eat breakfast standing because we have a 45 minute drive to work. Our dinner is always late and there is no changing that until we retire or get jobs closer to home. (Not going to happen). If giving up caffeine and alcohol doesn't help, I am going to go in for an endoscopy to see if there is anything else going on or if someone will attempt to do surgery on it. I'm too young at 50 to live with this problem, being a Celiac is problem enough!

Comment from: justtwo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 12

I have been having shortness of breath for some time. Lately I started feeling weak and faint whenever I took a deep breath. Thinking I was having a heart attack I tried to get to a doctor with no luck so my friend took me to her chiropractor. He diagnosed me with a hiatal hernia. He laid me down and pushed it out with his bare hands. This was 2 hrs ago. I am home now and breathing normally with no weakness. Hurt like heck but it sure beats surgery!

Must Read Articles Related to Hiatal Hernia

Acid Reflux (GERD)
Acid Reflux Disease (GERD) Acid reflux (GERD) is caused by acid backing up from the stomach. Causes of acid reflux include smoking, obesity, alcohol, medications, diet, and other medical ...learn more >>
Barium Swallow
Barium Swallow Barium swallow is a test used to determine causes of painful or difficulty swallowing, and diseases such as GERD, hiatal hernia, ulcers, dysphagia, tumors, or p...learn more >>
Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) FAQs
Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) FAQs Acid reflux (GERD) is caused by lifestyle factors (alcohol, obesity), medication, diet, medical conditions, and eating habits. Symptoms of acid reflux (GERD) in...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hiatal Hernia:

Hiatal Hernia - Symptoms

What are your hiatal hernia symptoms?