Viewer Comments: Hiatal Hernia - Self-Care and Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hiatal Hernia:

Hiatal Hernia - Self-Care and Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your hiatal hernia?

Comment from: justtwo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 12

I have been having shortness of breath for some time. Lately I started feeling weak and faint whenever I took a deep breath. Thinking I was having a heart attack I tried to get to a doctor with no luck so my friend took me to her chiropractor. He diagnosed me with a hiatal hernia. He laid me down and pushed it out with his bare hands. This was 2 hrs ago. I am home now and breathing normally with no weakness. Hurt like heck but it sure beats surgery!

Comment from: Jerry, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 06

Hi all... My gastroentologist has found that i am having hiatal hernia. She has suggested me to stick to the routine diet timings. She says that taking food at proper time (not heavy) will automatically take care of the heart buring sense and the vomitting kind of feelings. I am now under strict diet avoiding spicy and acidic food stuffs. Am getting better and my appetitie is also good now. She said, the possible reason for this problem could be constipation. So she suggested me to walk a lot instead of sitting at a place and also empty the bowl immediately when i feel like. So frenz, if u r also having the same kind of problem, please dont panic. It is a very simple problem [ it can be dangerous if not taken proper care ]that can be solved easily by changing ourselves. Thanks Jerry

Comment from: harold23, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I too was told my hiatal hernia is "small." The symptoms are not small. Horrible pain that radiates into my neck, throat, ears, arms, and back (yes, it is easy to believe you are having a heart attack). I become paralyzed, unable to move due to the pain and anxiety. Unable to process thoughts because I just cannot think of anything else but the pain. Heart palpitations so severe I have honestly thought of killing myself because I cannot stand the feeling and don't know how to make it stop. Nausea, gas, bloating. I take pantoprazole, which helps with the heartburn symptoms, but I have not found anything to deal with the other symptoms. I admit that I have done little in terms of diet or any of the other suggestions you will see listed.

Comment from: nancy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I've had pain in the tummy area for years now I'm 61 years old. until recently a doctor did a GI and it was found I have a small Hiatal Hernia I am on 40mg of Nexium a day but still have severe pain rising from the stomach up in the chest then down my left arm, it can last for 10min or 3hrs. I have cut all caffeine and fats out of my diet. I pray that someone finds a cure for this terrible pain that myself and 100,000 of others suffer daily. I try to keep my bowel moving daily as well, just because its labeled small means nothing. It's so painful and draining.

Comment from: mick1, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia 6 years ago. I had lost blood from erosions on my esophagus and had to have 4 blood transfusions. They put me on Prilosec and I took it for 6 years. Now I am having all kinds of side effects. Since then I have found out it hasn't been proven safe for that amount of time. I have come across several people who are having trouble with their joints and muscles hurting, especially in the legs. They have cramps, twitching, and anxiety. I am trying to find a safe alternative to take. My Dr. failed to tell me not to take it that long and also when you try to stop your symptoms come back worse than ever.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 25

I am sitting here reading all the reviews which are so familiar, and heplful! I thought I was imagining all these symptoms thank god I'm not alone. I have been suffering from this hiatal hernia from my early teens, but since I reached my 20's I found it did get a lot worse, anytime I eat anything I constantly feel bloated, breathlessness, feeling of vomiting, reflux and pain in left side under my rib cage down my arm, this scared me as I thought it might be my heart. Thankfully it wasn't, my doctor recommended change of diet and exercise which I do but still I can get it very bad sometimes I just wish there was some other treatments that can be done rather than surgery.

Comment from: tina, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I have a hiatal hernia. I don't do anything different, although when it flares I stay away from caffeine, grease and tomato sauce. Omeprazole, (over the counter) takes care of it 95% of the time. I just want the lump to go away.....

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 11

I have been having with chest pain for the last several years. I have been to the ER about 4 times thinking I was having a heart attack. The doctors have ruled out my heart is fine I have had EKG, stress test and three weeks ago I had a cardio catheter in August I had surgery because I have GERD and they found out I also had hiatal hernia and also had my gallbladder removed. The surgeon repaired the two hernias and told me that that might be why I am having chest pain. Well the last three months I had no chest pain now it is back. I have PH monitor test and every test you can name with my gastroenterologist, taken every pill: Nexium, Prevacid, Aciphex, Apidex, Pepcid, Rolaids Gas X you name it I am still having these chest pain in the middle of my chest and goes all the way to my back. I just wish some could help.

Must Read Articles Related to Hiatal Hernia

Acid Reflux (GERD)
Acid Reflux Disease (GERD) Acid reflux (GERD) is caused by acid backing up from the stomach. Causes of acid reflux include smoking, obesity, alcohol, medications, diet, and other medical ...learn more >>
Barium Swallow
Barium Swallow Barium swallow is a test used to determine causes of painful or difficulty swallowing, and diseases such as GERD, hiatal hernia, ulcers, dysphagia, tumors, or p...learn more >>
Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) FAQs
Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) FAQs Acid reflux (GERD) is caused by lifestyle factors (alcohol, obesity), medication, diet, medical conditions, and eating habits. Symptoms of acid reflux (GERD) in...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hiatal Hernia:

Hiatal Hernia - Symptoms

What are your hiatal hernia symptoms?