Viewer Comments: Hiatal Hernia - Self-Care and Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hiatal Hernia:

Hiatal Hernia - Self-Care and Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your hiatal hernia?

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 25

I am sitting here reading all the reviews which are so familiar, and heplful! I thought I was imagining all these symptoms thank god I'm not alone. I have been suffering from this hiatal hernia from my early teens, but since I reached my 20's I found it did get a lot worse, anytime I eat anything I constantly feel bloated, breathlessness, feeling of vomiting, reflux and pain in left side under my rib cage down my arm, this scared me as I thought it might be my heart. Thankfully it wasn't, my doctor recommended change of diet and exercise which I do but still I can get it very bad sometimes I just wish there was some other treatments that can be done rather than surgery.

Comment from: tina, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I have a hiatal hernia. I don't do anything different, although when it flares I stay away from caffeine, grease and tomato sauce. Omeprazole, (over the counter) takes care of it 95% of the time. I just want the lump to go away.....

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 11

I have been having with chest pain for the last several years. I have been to the ER about 4 times thinking I was having a heart attack. The doctors have ruled out my heart is fine I have had EKG, stress test and three weeks ago I had a cardio catheter in August I had surgery because I have GERD and they found out I also had hiatal hernia and also had my gallbladder removed. The surgeon repaired the two hernias and told me that that might be why I am having chest pain. Well the last three months I had no chest pain now it is back. I have PH monitor test and every test you can name with my gastroenterologist, taken every pill: Nexium, Prevacid, Aciphex, Apidex, Pepcid, Rolaids Gas X you name it I am still having these chest pain in the middle of my chest and goes all the way to my back. I just wish some could help.

Comment from: 13-18 Female Published: December 21

I have a hiatal hernia. I'm not sure which kind, I think fixed, although I have a lot of constant pressure in the very center of my chest. It causes breathing difficulties. My deep breaths are very shallow, and I sometimes find it hard to breathe. The pressure causes pain, such pain that it sometimes makes me cry. It took them maybe six months to find my problem, they told me it was anxiety, but after an endoscopy they found it. It affects me constantly and I came online to find answers.

Must Read Articles Related to Hiatal Hernia

Acid Reflux (GERD)
Acid Reflux Disease (GERD) Acid reflux (GERD) is caused by acid backing up from the stomach. Causes of acid reflux include learn more >>
Barium Swallow
Barium Swallow Barium swallow is a test used to determine causes of painful or difficulty swallowing, and diseases such as GERD, hiatal hernia, ulcers, dysphagia, tumors, or p...learn more >>
GERD FAQs (Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease)
Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) FAQs Acid reflux (GERD) is caused by lifestyle factors (learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hiatal Hernia:

Hiatal Hernia - Symptoms

What are your hiatal hernia symptoms?