Viewer Comments: Hiatal Hernia - Self-Care and Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hiatal Hernia:

Hiatal Hernia - Self-Care and Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your hiatal hernia?

...
Comment from: Msum, 55-64 Female Published: January 12

My sister was diagnosed with Hiatal Hernia. She was admitted to the hospital due to serious stomach pains. They tried to perform a Barium test which could not be completed because she swallowed the Barium but it did not go into the stomach (she later vomited it up). They later performed an endoscopy test (upper GI) and said they saw nothing.

Comment from: mike m, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 13

I had most of the symptoms described on this site and more. Chest pain, palpitations, gas, horrible pain, anxiety. Finally I was diagnosed with GERD due to a hiatal hernia. Prilosec helped but shouldn't be taken for more than 2-4 weeks at a time. My doctor wanted to keep me on it permanently as symptoms came back soon after going off prilosec. I looked for safer, natural remedy and found that Mastic Gum capsules treat my problem, safely and permanently. I still have to be careful not to overdo certain foods but my diet generally is open to most foods.

Comment from: Connie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I am so glad I read everyone's comments about their hiatal hernia. I have been lax lately about taking my pills as prescribed but I will definitely start doing as I was told. I too have been having the feeling in the middle of my chest and when I have lifted something heavy I have the same problems of breathing as others have mentioned. I was thinking it was my heart but everyone's comments are me to a T. Of course if I thought it was my heart I would go to the ER or see my doctor immediately. Sometimes my bra would feel so tight that I wanted to scream, and the middle of my back would ache. That's how I found out what my problem was, having an upper GI revealed a hiatal hernia. Thank you everyone for posting your own personal experiences. I don't feel so alone with this problem anymore.

Comment from: Marie-Clare, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 28

I have been diagnosed with a small hiatal hernia two weeks ago. I am waiting for the results of the biopsy taken of the various irritated foci found during gastroscopy. I am looking for how to live with this uncomfortable condition and how to prevent it from getting worse. It is agonizing. I was amazed when I found out that the cause of my dramatic chest pain the mimicked an angina and the hear burns, was actually the hiatus hernia. I have difficulty with swallowing. I always have a thick mucus plug in my throat. Even though I have been placed on 20 mg of omeprazole tablet daily, I am not very good at taking medication. I must say that I feel relieved to know that I am not alone and that there are people out there who can understand. I am 56 years old and my weight had been below 110 lb for the most part of my life until two years ago when I gained weight and now am at 124 lb.

Comment from: esined 56, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I have been diagnosed with a hiatal hernia. I recently gained a few pounds, and that's when it got worse. I had to change my diet. No citrus, chocolate, caffeine, tomato or spicy foods. Some over-the-counter medications have caffeine in them, such as Excedrin. So I cut out some of these products and I felt better. Oh, and I do not eat or drink three hours before going to bed. I use extra pillows when sleeping.

Comment from: Miserable, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 11

Since I was about 20, I've had a strange feeling in my lower chest, mostly on the left side. For a long time, I thought there was something wrong with my heart, but there was really never any direct evidence, and it began to be more of a pressure and a constant discomfort under my ribs. No doctor could tell me anything other than "you're fine," and so the mystery continued. Only now at age 29 have I finally gotten an endoscopy. I apparently have a "small" hiatal hernia and "mild" gastritis. All I want is to feel a normal feeling in my body and not bloated, gassy, and on the verge of a heart attack all the time. It just seems as of it's something easy enough to fix but my doctor says there are no good surgeons in Las Vegas who can do the operation. My journey starts here, and hopefully this helps somebody else figure it out.

Comment from: Debbi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 03

I have Crohn's and a hiatal hernia. My hernia pain is always preceded by stabbing pain in my ear. I take Prilosec daily, but the only medication I've found that relieves the hernia pain is Carafate. If I take one or two grams as soon as the ear pain starts, the hernia pain will go away within ten minutes.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Hiatal Hernia

Acid Reflux (GERD)
Acid Reflux Disease (GERD) Acid reflux (GERD) is caused by acid backing up from the stomach. Causes of acid reflux include smoking, obesity, alcohol, medications, diet, and other medical ...learn more >>
Barium Swallow
Barium Swallow Barium swallow is a test used to determine causes of painful or difficulty swallowing, and diseases such as GERD, hiatal hernia, ulcers, dysphagia, tumors, or p...learn more >>
Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) FAQs
Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) FAQs Acid reflux (GERD) is caused by lifestyle factors (alcohol, obesity), medication, diet, medical conditions, and eating habits. Symptoms of acid reflux (GERD) in...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hiatal Hernia:

Hiatal Hernia - Symptoms

What are your hiatal hernia symptoms?