Viewer Comments: Hiccups - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hiccups:

Hiccups - Treatment

What treatments were effective for your hiccups?

Comment from: 45-54 Female Published: January 03

Drinking carbonated drinks such as Coke or Pepsi has worked every time for me.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 13

Eating ice cream really works!

Comment from: Rhi, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

I too am surprised that by pulling my tongue my hiccups went away.

Comment from: energyengineer, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 18

I have chronic hiccups. Last month I had an episode lasting a week, 10 hours plus per day. I ended that with a milk shake. Friday night they started again. They continued through to Sunday night. I stopped them with a milk shake. They restarted about 2:00 am Monday. I again stopped them with ice cream. The cold applied to get that severe chilling at the back of the mouth and the smoothness of the shake or ice cream seem to be the factor to the success of this home remedy.

Comment from: pj, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 18

I had the hiccups for over an hour and after reading the info on holding your breath{which was one minute for me} it did the trick,thank God.

Comment from: Poiboy, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 15

I take a glass of really ice cold water and let it slide down the back of my throat and tongue really slow and repeat over and over, but the hiccupping usual stops within a few swallows.

Comment from: me in me, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

I was looking for a way to stop my hiccups and thought I would try pulling my tongue. I just couldn't believe it when they stopped instantly. Cool.

Must Read Articles Related to Hiccups

Acute Kidney Failure
Acute Kidney Failure Kidney failure, or the ability of the kidneys to filter water and waste is caused by prerenal, postrenal, or renal problems with the kidney(s). Symptoms of kidn...learn more >>
Alcohol Intoxication
Alcohol Intoxication

Alcohol intoxication is defined as when the quantity of alcohol the person consumes produces behavioral or physical abnormalities. Alcohol is the generic ...learn more >>

Anxiety
Anxiety Anxiety as a medical condition is characterized b...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hiccups:

Hiccups - Home Remedies

What home remedies do you try to get rid of the hiccups?

Hiccups - Experience

Please describe your experience with hiccups.