Viewer Comments: Hiccups - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hiccups:

Hiccups - Treatment

What treatments were effective for your hiccups?

Comment from: Redmichelle582, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 09

I heard this and it works for me every time. Take a big mouthful of water and swallow about 15 times while holding your breath and plugging your ears.

Comment from: Zia, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 01

A spoon of peanut butter works great. My daughter gets the hiccups all the time and peanut butter is all that seems to work for her.

Comment from: 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 10

I chew on a lemon slice when I get hiccups.

Published: June 26

It really worked. I held my breath for some few seconds and hiccup stopped instantly. I have been trying other means for over 12 hours without success. I confirm this, it really works instantly.

Comment from: SuzieQ, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 10

Take a slice of lemon and sprinkle with sugar. Bite into it and suck on lemon until sugar is gone. It has worked every time.

Comment from: Ms. Mom, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 25

Peppermint candy worked for my two year old. I just had to cut up the candy into smaller pieces to prevent him from choking. Quick cure!

Comment from: syed, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 25

Drinking water quickly with both nostrils closed really works!!!

Comment from: Ger, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 21

I just cured my hiccups by drinking a glass of water quickly while holding my nose at the same time - as directed by another submission. Thank You!!!

Comment from: makeupaname, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 03

I usually drink water out the other side of the cup which almost always works except one time when I had hiccups for over 3 hours. I held my nose while drinking and it worked!

Comment from: terah, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 17

Pepperment candy seems to help with hiccups.

Comment from: (Caregiver) Published: September 26

Stop hiccups by drinking water and holding your nose at the same time. It works every time for me.

To get rid of my hiccups I hold my breath and count to 10. Just before I let my breath out I swallow. Do this 3 times in a row. Works every time.

I have always found sweets, sugar, and chocolate cure my hiccups EVERYTIME!

Comment from: 45-54 Female Published: January 03

Drinking carbonated drinks such as Coke or Pepsi has worked every time for me.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 13

Eating ice cream really works!

Must Read Articles Related to Hiccups

Acute Kidney Failure
Acute Kidney Failure Kidney failure, or the ability of the kidneys to filter water and waste is caused by prerenal, postrenal, or renal problems with the kidney(s). Symptoms of kidn...learn more >>
Alcohol Intoxication
Alcohol Intoxication

Alcohol intoxication is defined as when the quantity of alcohol the person consumes produces behavioral or physical abnormalities. Alcohol is the generic ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hiccups:

Hiccups - Home Remedies

What home remedies do you try to get rid of the hiccups?

Hiccups - Experience

Please describe your experience with hiccups.