Viewer Comments: Hiccups - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hiccups:

Hiccups - Treatment

What treatments were effective for your hiccups?

Published: June 26

It really worked. I held my breath for some few seconds and hiccup stopped instantly. I have been trying other means for over 12 hours without success. I confirm this, it really works instantly.

Comment from: SuzieQ, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 10

Take a slice of lemon and sprinkle with sugar. Bite into it and suck on lemon until sugar is gone. It has worked every time.

Comment from: Ms. Mom, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 25

Peppermint candy worked for my two year old. I just had to cut up the candy into smaller pieces to prevent him from choking. Quick cure!

Comment from: syed, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 25

Drinking water quickly with both nostrils closed really works!!!

Comment from: Ger, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 21

I just cured my hiccups by drinking a glass of water quickly while holding my nose at the same time - as directed by another submission. Thank You!!!

Comment from: makeupaname, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 03

I usually drink water out the other side of the cup which almost always works except one time when I had hiccups for over 3 hours. I held my nose while drinking and it worked!

Comment from: terah, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 17

Pepperment candy seems to help with hiccups.

Comment from: (Caregiver) Published: September 26

Stop hiccups by drinking water and holding your nose at the same time. It works every time for me.

To get rid of my hiccups I hold my breath and count to 10. Just before I let my breath out I swallow. Do this 3 times in a row. Works every time.

I have always found sweets, sugar, and chocolate cure my hiccups EVERYTIME!

Comment from: 45-54 Female Published: January 03

Drinking carbonated drinks such as Coke or Pepsi has worked every time for me.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 13

Eating ice cream really works!

Comment from: Rhi, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

I too am surprised that by pulling my tongue my hiccups went away.

Comment from: energyengineer, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 18

I have chronic hiccups. Last month I had an episode lasting a week, 10 hours plus per day. I ended that with a milk shake. Friday night they started again. They continued through to Sunday night. I stopped them with a milk shake. They restarted about 2:00 am Monday. I again stopped them with ice cream. The cold applied to get that severe chilling at the back of the mouth and the smoothness of the shake or ice cream seem to be the factor to the success of this home remedy.

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hiccups:

Hiccups - Experience

Please describe your experience with hiccups.

Hiccups - Home Remedies

What home remedies do you try to get rid of the hiccups?