Viewer Comments: Hiccups - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hiccups:

Hiccups - Experience

Please describe your experience with hiccups.

Comment from: ajbarlow, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I'm a 27 yr old female and I've been hiccupping for the past seven years every day off and on all day. Sometimes it's just one other times many. They have made me stop in my tracks and concentrate on breathing due to it hurting. It's a pain dealing with it really.

Comment from: kelsay84, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 14

I have had hiccups for three days now. I have been able to get rid of them for up to 30 minutes, but then they come back.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I have the hiccups every day sometimes one, sometimes a few. Then the just go away. This has been going on about two months. I have the periodically throughout the day for no reason. No eating or drinking they just start.

Comment from: Hiccup Man, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 10

I have had hiccups now for 2-days on and off. Every time I cough, laugh, talk loud, or eat. I get them back. I wake up in the night from and with them. I tried holding my breath, drinking water slow and fast, taking antacids, eating raw ginger, and tablespoon of sugar.Nothing works.

Comment from: obolton, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

My hiccups are not food or drink related at all. I could be just sitting or laying and BOOM, hiccups. It's usually a brief episode, but hiccups nonetheless. Deep breaths to expand the diaphragm works for me.

Comment from: Jonas, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 24

I have had them all day long with a few breaks. I have tried all the home remedies but as soon as I cough, they come back.

Comment from: Felicia, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 03

I do not have chronic hiccups I was just wondering why when I start to eat or drink I get one big hiccup that really hurts from my neck to the top portion of my chest. It is so painful that it is difficult to catch my breath at first. Then afterwards my chest hurts for hours...I finally took Tylenol and that helped for a short time.

Comment from: Judkah, 45-54 Female Published: February 09

I get hiccups sometimes several times a day. I usually take my breath in as far as I can, plug my nose and inhale one more "inch". Holding the breath through what would have been 1 or 2 hiccups. This almost always works for me, but I plan on trying the tongue pull next time.

Must Read Articles Related to Hiccups

Acute Kidney Failure
Acute Kidney Failure Kidney failure, or the ability of the kidneys to filter water and waste is caused by prerenal, postrenal, or renal problems with the kidney(s). Symptoms of kidn...learn more >>
Alcohol Intoxication
Alcohol Intoxication Alcohol intoxication is defined as when the quantity of learn more >>
Anxiety
Anxiety Anxiety as a medical condition is characterized b...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hiccups:

Hiccups - Home Remedies

What home remedies do you try to get rid of the hiccups?

Hiccups - Treatment

What treatments were effective for your hiccups?