High Blood Pressure (cont.)
Alternative therapies may be helpful to people trying to control their blood
- Acupuncture and biofeedback are well-accepted alternative techniques that
may help some people with high blood pressure.
- Techniques that induce relaxation and reduce stress are recommended. These
include meditation, yoga, and relaxation training.
- These techniques alone may not control high blood pressure for many people.
They should not be used as a substitute for medical therapy without first
consulting with your health care practitioner.
Dietary supplements and alternative medications and therapies are sometimes
recommended for high blood pressure.
- Examples include vitamins, garlic, fish oil, L-arginine, soy, coenzyme Q10,
herbs, phytosterols, and chelation therapy.
- While these substances may be beneficial, the exact nature of their
benefits is not known.
- Scientific studies have produced no evidence that these therapies lower
blood pressure or prevent the complications of high blood pressure.
- Most of these substances are harmless if taken in moderate doses. Most
people can take them without problems.
- Talk to your health care practitioner if you are considering any of these
treatments. Substituting these therapies for medical therapies that have been
shown to lower blood pressure and the risk of complications may have a harmful
effect on your health.
Must Read Articles Related to High Blood Pressure
Angina pectoris is a term to describe chest pain that occurs when the heart is not getting enough blood. There are two types of angina, stable (the most common)...learn more >>
An aortic aneuyrsm is a medical emergency. Abnormal enlargement or buldging of the aorta becomes an aortic aneurysm when this area becoms weakened. Common cause...learn more >>
Atrial fibrillation (A fib) describes a rapid, irregular heart rhythm. The irregular rhythm, or arrhythmia, results from abnormal electrical impulses in the hea...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about High Blood Pressure: