High Blood Pressure, Transient Ischemic Attack, and Stroke
High blood pressure (hypertension) is considered the most important and most treatable risk factor for transient ischemic attack (TIA) and stroke. Proper treatment of high blood pressure can reduce the chance of having a TIA or stroke.
High blood pressure increases the pressure inside arteries, causing damage.
High blood pressure can be controlled with medicines and changes in lifestyle. For more information, see the topic High Blood Pressure.
eMedicineHealth Medical Reference from Healthwise
To learn more visit Healthwise.org
© 1995-2012 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.
Heart Health Resources
- Tips for Living With AFib
- Will Health Reform Affect You?
- Know These 6 Serious Medical Symptoms of Afib
- Symptoms of a Severe Allergic Reaction
- Breast Cancer Treatment Options
- Is Your Body Ready for Pregnancy?