Viewer Comments: Hyperglycemia - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about High Blood Sugar (Hyperglycemia):

Hyperglycemia - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hyperglycemia.

Comment from: richandmary45, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

I have high blood sugar and I crave sweets, but I don't really like them. I crave them. But I feel weak most of the time. I have also lost a lot of weight. I have lost about 70 pounds over the past nine months.

Comment from: peterb, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 17

My experience with hypoglycemia began when I realized I was always tired. One day, I had the shakes in my fingers. I went to see the doctor, who found that my blood sugar level was extremely low. Now, I walk 40 minutes a day and watch what I eat. I learned my lesson.

Comment from: exodos, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 10

In 2007, my family asked our doctor to have a look at my husband's blood sugar. The doctor ignored our request, and my husband died three days later.

Comment from: idnas, 45-54 (Patient) Published: October 07

Before I found out about hyperglycemia, I was experiencing a lot of dizziness and confusion. There were times when I didn't know where I was and I was very disoriented and woozy.

Comment from: lesley, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I have recently had a fasting glucose testing a hospital environment and results are - pre test 6.3 post test 5.2 (2 hours after drinking the glucose) my GP recommended these be performed due to rising levels on fasting bloods - I have been experimenting at home and checking bloods three times per day and the bloods are always high whenever I haven't eaten. However if I eat, they reduce to anything between 5.2 & 6.3!! (They can be up to 7.3 upon waking). Baffling or what? No other symptoms of hyperglycemia. This has occurred since I have been on a healthy eating plan and lost 18lbs in weight - I exercise 4 days per week by cycling up to 10 mile per session & aqua aerobics x 1 per week for 1 hour. I still have 28lb more to lose but these blood sugars are bewildering to me.

Comment from: bedwetter, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 03

After drinking alcohol 4 80z glasses of long island ice tea with ice, from partying. When I get home I drink 2 glasses of water, then I'm up all night urinating every 1 1/2 hours apart for 7-9 hours.

Comment from: sweety, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I was diagnosed less than a wk ago. My coworker was concerned about my excessive sweating. She called the doctor and I was seen. I was so shocked. I have had nearly all the symptoms, fatigue, dry mouth, yawning, urinary problems, feet hurting and feeling like pins are sticking in them and irritability. The doctor started me on Metformin and checking my glucose twice daily. I had lost 13lbs.This is all so new to me and I feel lost. I can't wait until my appt so I can adjust my diet. I'm trying to stay away from sugar and carbs. I'm not sure whether I have type I or II. I'll find out at my next doctor appt.

Comment from: armand jordan, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: December 16

I have been diagnosed as a Diabetic type 2. I was on metformin, 1000 mg per day, doing okay, however, switched doctors an she said that it may damage my liver, so she switched me to glipizide, and immediately I began to gain weight, however my numbers were in the 100 range, but I was concerned about my weight gain, so she once again switched me to januvia. Since then, my numbers have risen to alarming rates, around 200 at times. I'm concerned, and would like to go back to the metformin if at all possible.

Comment from: kathleen, 55-64 Female Published: January 27

I feel tired and have a loss of appetite with hyperglycemia.

Must Read Articles Related to High Blood Sugar (Hyperglycemia)

Diabetic Eye Disease
Diabetic Eye Disease Diabetic eye disease is a complication from diabetes. Types of diabetic eye disease include background diabetic retinopathy, nonproliferative diabetic retinopat...learn more >>
Diabetic Foot Care
Diabetic Foot Care Read about diabetic foot care. Causes of foot problems in people with diabetes include footwear, nerve damage, poor circulation, trauma, infections, and smoking...learn more >>
Diabetic Ketoacidosis
Diabetic Ketoacidosis Diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) occurs when a person with diabetes becomes dehydrated. Causes of diabetic ketoacidosis include infection, missed insulin, or newly d...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about High Blood Sugar (Hyperglycemia):

Hyperglycemia - Treatment

What was the treatment for your hyperglycemia?

Hyperglycemia - Diet

What is your Hyperglycemia diet plan?

From WebMD