Viewer Comments: Hyperglycemia - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about High Blood Sugar (Hyperglycemia):

Hyperglycemia - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hyperglycemia.

Comment from: timeline, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 10

I am a 20 year old female; I was diagnosed with T1 Diabetes at the age of 10. I have never been over the weight of 130 and I am 5'6". Today, I am experiencing extreme high blood pressure, weight loss (now 104) and tingling in my right baby toe. I have never took great care of my diabetes and I am paying the price. There is no reason or excuse to not take care of your illness so please, if you are diabetic take care of it :). It's not the end of the world by any means and you can like a perfectly normal life with it. The feeling of being a healthy diabetic is amazing, however the feeling of being a unhealthy diabetic is miserable.

Comment from: Jenny Johnson, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

Sometimes to most of the time I get extremely thirsty after a meal and even when I drink water it takes awhile for the extreme thirst to go away. I tend to skip meals a lot during the day. I get busy. Then other times I'm consistent. I believe I am too inconsistent with my eating habits. On two separate occasions I have blacked out and/or passed out due to lack of eating and dehydration though I drank Gatorade when the incident happened. This usually happens when I am really stressed, exhausted, and haven't had enough to eat. Is it really hyperglycemia or am I becoming diabetic? I don't exercise either. When I test my blood it is always either 70, 80, 95, but just today all the sudden I got extremely thirsty so I decided to test my blood on my meter and it said "140." So I tested it again a minute later to get a more accurate reading and it said "120". I'm so confused by this. I ate 3-4 hours earlier but I didn't eat breakfast, or lunch.

Comment from: bela, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 10

My son has only just been diagnosed with it, but I would really like to ask how to prevent it and how to get rid of it. His last bad one was on Mothers Day this year and he throws up first and then slowly goes jelly like and doesn't know what is going on and he looks right through you when he is like that. His BSL dropped to 0.9 and nearly ended up in a coma. The doctors have no idea what it is or what to do about it. They are just putting needles in after needles. I can't stand it anymore I just want my son better. They have given me a GlucaGen shot to give him just in case, but have not even showed me how to use it. I've never used a needle ever. I wouldn't know how far to put it through is leg. Then they tell me I have to get it through the muscle or it won't work. (Ambulance man tried to go through it with me) when my son had another one on the school holidays this year.

Comment from: Lobo Civera, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 22

After eating a loaf sandwich, I started getting real nervous, I left work to see a doctor for medicine for my diabetes which I have not been taking for years. Halfway there I started feeling numb in the face and head. I had someone close by call 911 for me and fought against losing consciousness. It happened again at the emergency room. They told me I was only having an anxiety attack. This has never happened before and it took this scary moment of fear to make me take this seriously.

Comment from: peewee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

I was just told again that my blood sugar is high. I guess age and inactivity have finally caught up with me. My doctor has given me two month to try and bring it down, or it's oral medications for me.

Comment from: pm, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 25

I have started on thyroid medicine and my sugars are out of control. I have never had sugars in the 200 or more and now the last 2 weeks they have been high.

Comment from: pklute, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 15

With hyperglycemia, I experienced numbness in toes and feet.

Comment from: meshelly1968, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 06

I am a 41-year-old female, overweight as well. I just recently had my blood sugar check in the morning before I ate anything. It was 159. After eating lunch, it was 194. I wonder if these sound like serious diabetic numbers, so I plan to see a doctor.

Must Read Articles Related to High Blood Sugar (Hyperglycemia)

Diabetic Eye Disease
Diabetic Eye Disease Diabetic eye disease is a complication from diabetes. Types of diabetic eye disease include background diabetic retinopathy, nonproliferative diabetic retinopat...learn more >>
Diabetic Foot Care
Diabetic Foot Care Read about diabetic foot care. Causes of foot problems in people with diabetes include footwear, nerve damage, poor circulation, trauma, infections, and smoking...learn more >>
Diabetic Ketoacidosis
Diabetic Ketoacidosis Diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) occurs when a person with diabetes becomes dehydrated. Causes of diabetic ketoacidosis include infection, missed insulin, or newly d...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about High Blood Sugar (Hyperglycemia):

Hyperglycemia - Treatment

What was the treatment for your hyperglycemia?

Hyperglycemia - Diet

What is your Hyperglycemia diet plan?

From WebMD