Viewer Comments: High Cholesterol - Effective Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about High Cholesterol:

High Cholesterol - Effective Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your high cholesterol?

Comment from: 45-54 Male Published: July 31

Exercise, food portion control. Both have led to weight loss, improved blood pressure and lower resting heart rate.

Comment from: tiggerjd3, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: July 12

If you are taking any of these meds with statin in them and are experiencing pain and joint soreness, this could be caused by this medicine. I started taking Red Yeast Rice and have noticed a big difference without the pains I was having.

Comment from: mnretired, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 18

Having a family history of high cholesterol, when my levels (good/bad) became abnormal, I went on Lipitor. That was 10 years ago and all levels have been very good ever since. I also exercise and semi watch my diet and have had no adverse side effects from the drug. Given that my father died at 57 and I am now 67 and going strong I am all for supplementing my cholesterol control with drugs.

Comment from: LMA, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 26

Lipitor 20mg reduced total cholesterol from around 215 to around 160 almost immediately about 10 years ago. I continue to use Lipitor and doctor has now adjusted the dose to 40mg.

Comment from: 55-64 Female Published: November 11

I have been struggling to identify the cause of my symptoms and when I found out I had high cholesterol, I have been searching for 'symptoms' and haven't found out what high cholesterol does. I am going through a Dr. but in the intervening two-three weeks I am also curious and frustrated that the information seems so difficult to obtain.

Must Read Articles Related to High Cholesterol

Angina
Angina Pectoris Angina pectoris is a term to describe chest pain that occurs when the heart is not getting enough blood. There are two types of angina, stable (the most common)...learn more >>
High Cholesterol and Children
Cholesterol and Children High cholesterol is a risk factor for coronary heart disease in adults, but some children may be at risk for premature coronary heart disease if they have high ...learn more >>
Cholesterol FAQs
Cholesterol FAQs Test your cholesterol IQ by reading about cholesterol FAQs (cholesterol facts) like the risk factors for high cholesterol (diet, lack of exercise, smoking, here...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about High Cholesterol:

High Cholesterol - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your high cholesterol?