Viewer Comments: Hip Pain - Cause

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hip Pain:

Hip Pain - Cause

What was the cause of your hip pain?

Comment from: golfer-63, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 26

I am a very keen golfer and play regularly. My coach was trying to get me to turn more on the follow through, and this involves greater hip rotation than my previous swing. I was enjoying the new movement and greater power but after practice my hip joint felt 'stretched' and slightly painful. It felt as though a ligament or muscle has been damaged. I went to my local hip specialist and he did an MRI and concluded that the pain was from early stages of arthritis in the labrum area. I was not convinced because the hip is only painful with certain movements, and often has no pain at all for several days. It seems more like soft tissue inflammation to me.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 05

I haven't been diagnosed yet but am pretty sure my hip pain is caused by osteoarthritis. I've had gout off and on since I was 21, and I'm 65 now. It hurts when I lay in bed on my right side, when I sit, and less standing. The pain just started this year.

Comment from: Laura May, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I have a throbbing pain on my right upper thigh, near the joint with my hip. Sometimes it is there and sometimes not; but when it is, it is very painful.

Comment from: lol crosby, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 05

A dull ache started about a week ago on the left side of my hip. It went away two days later then came back this morning with terrible pain and I am struggling to bend and walk.

Comment from: Levy Vega, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: July 15

I just stood up and almost fell over because my entire left leg gave out and I had a lot of pain on my left hip. I had to stay off of it for about 30 minutes before getting to the ground and trying to stretch it out before attempting to stand on it again. I am currently limping and wondering why it is hurting so badly.

Comment from: luckyshaner, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I have been a CNA Home Health Aide 42 years. The wear and tear over the years in doing my job has contributed to the cause of my hip problem. I am up at night with pain that radiates down my leg.

Comment from: Hannah Mac, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

My hip pain originates from an injury sustained when I was taking my very energetic dog walking through sand dunes. He unintentionally ran into the back of me, hitting my knee. It somehow jerked my pelvis. I thought first of all that my pelvis was twisted, however, during the past 10 days the pain has moved into the hip area. The pain is now located in the lower left hand side of the butt near the top of left leg.

Comment from: Female Published: February 14

I fell over a piece of low furniture and my right leg came across and up the left hand side of my body when I heard my right ball joint click. I now find it painful to walk normally and I think it is now causing me to walk over heavily on the outside of my left foot. I am sure the injury is causing my right top leg to push in against my left leg which is causing me to walk over on the left foot and I can feel the outside left foot is very sore now.

Comment from: Artmist, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

Car accident. The impact cause a herniated disk and narrowing space in my hip joint which has caused arthritis.

I was in town when the pain hit me in the hip. I was sitting in my car. I had to get out of my car when the pain hit me. When I got home the pain got worse. I could not walk or sit. When I went to bed I had to sleep on my back. When I got up the next day there was no more pain I was sore now for two days in my back, hip and my left leg.

Comment from: wswjpw, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 02

I have fibromyalgia and for the past 6 months or so, I awake with severe pain in my left hip that radiates to the knee. I sleep mostly on my left side and I awake in pain. It takes about an hour for the narcotic pain killers to kick in. By the way, the pain killers are for the nerve damage caused by thoracic outlet syndrome.

Must Read Articles Related to Hip Pain

Bruises
Bruises A bruise is a common skin injury that results in a discoloration of the skin. Symptoms and signs include pain and discolored skin. Applying a cold compress may ...learn more >>
Bursitis
Bursitis Bursitis is inflammation of a bursa. A bursa is a tiny fluid-filled sac that functions as a gliding surface to reduce friction between tissues of the body. Ther...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hip Pain:

Hip Pain - Treatment

What was effective in treating your hip pain?

Hip Pain - Experience

Please describe your experience with hip pain.

Hip Pain - Symptoms

When you had hip pain, did you experience any related symptoms?