HIV and Cytomegalovirus
In people who have AIDS, CMV most often infects the eye (CMV retinitis), the esophagus (esophagitis), and the intestines (colitis). CMV can also cause pneumonia or liver inflammation (hepatitis). A CMV infection can be fatal.
CMV retinitis occurs in up to 40% of people who have CD4+ cell counts of less than 50 cells per microliter (mcL), and it can cause blindness.
eMedicineHealth Medical Reference from Healthwise
To learn more visit Healthwise.org
© 1995-2012 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.
Resources for Staying Well
- HIV-AIDS: Myths and Facts
- Understanding The Symptoms of AIDS/HIV
- The Top 10 Myths and Misconceptions About HIV and AIDS
- Symptoms of a Severe Allergic Reaction
- Breast Cancer Treatment Options
- Is Your Body Ready for Pregnancy?