IN THIS ARTICLE
There is no cure for HIV infection. Before we had any treatment for the virus, people with AIDS lived only for a couple of years. Fortunately, medications have substantially improved the outlook and survival rates. Prevention efforts have reduced HIV infection in young children and have the potential to limit new infections in other populations.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 3/5/2014
Must Read Articles Related to HIV/AIDS
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about HIV/AIDS:
HIV/AIDS - Diagnosis
How was your HIV/AIDS diagnosed?
HIV - Prevention
What prevention measures do you use to avoid getting a HIV?
HIV/AIDS - Treatments
What treatments have effectively managed your HIV/AIDS infection?
Resources for Staying Well
- HIV-AIDS: Myths and Facts
- Understanding The Symptoms of AIDS/HIV
- The Top 10 Myths and Misconceptions About HIV and AIDS
- Symptoms of a Severe Allergic Reaction
- Breast Cancer Treatment Options
- Is Your Body Ready for Pregnancy?