Viewer Comments: HIV/AIDS - Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about HIV/AIDS:

HIV/AIDS - Treatments

What treatments have effectively managed your HIV/AIDS infection?

Comment from: Angel Eyes, 65-74 Female Published: May 01

I was diagnosed with HIV five years ago. I caught it after being in a hospital. Since I had been celibate and never done drugs. A nurse, now in prison, used contaminated equipment on purpose on patients, making many Ill. It was on international news. Doctors say I will die without treatment. But I have refused them. It's been a difficult journey. I don't trust drugs or medical field. It hasn't yet turned into full blown AIDS, but, I know if this happens, I'm gone.

Comment from: Nancy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 29

I never knew I was positive, but was so scared to be positive. When I started developing some symptoms, I visited a doctor and was positive. But that's when life began for me. HIV is not the death sentence it once was.

Comment from: newly diagnosed, 45-54 Male Published: August 04

HIV is not the death sentence it once was. It is now a life sentence - without the possibility of parole with the HAART meds being a lifetime commitment and with being a responsible sex partner and taking appropriate precautions to prevent the transmission of infection.

Comment from: youngman49, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 05

I have had HIV now for more than 20 years, and I find that if you take your medications on a regular basis, you can live long, long time.

Comment from: God's child143, (Caregiver) Published: April 05

My best friend has been living with HIV for over 15 years. He takes his medicine. He exercises. He eats regularly and like many others you would never know he has HIV. I love him. One of the greatest resources besides getting tested and getting early medical treatment is having a support system.

Must Read Articles Related to HIV/AIDS

Dementia Due to HIV Infection
Dementia Due to HIV Infection Decline in mental processes is a common complication of HIV infection (and many other conditions). Although the specific symptoms vary from person to pers...learn more >>
HIV Testing
HIV Testing Human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) is the virus that causes acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS). HIV destroys the body's immune system and leads to AIDS....learn more >>
Rapid Oral HIV Test
Rapid Oral HIV Test Getting tested for HIV is now easier. On March 26, 2004, the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved a new HIV test, one that can be done with...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about HIV/AIDS:

HIV/AIDS - Diagnosis

How was your HIV/AIDS diagnosed?

HIV - Prevention

What prevention measures do you use to avoid getting a HIV?