Font Size

Hives and Angioedema (cont.)

When Should Someone Seek Medical Care for Hives or Angioedema?

Contact a health-care professional if you have hives or angioedema. After hearing your symptoms, he or she may want to see you for an office visit.

If you are having any of the following symptoms along with hives or angioedema, you may be having an anaphylactic reaction. Go immediately to a hospital emergency department.

Other reasons to go to the emergency department include the following:

  • Your hives or swelling do not improve after two to three days.
  • You continue getting new hives after two days.
  • Your symptoms do not get better with the treatment recommended by a health-care professional.

Do not drive yourself; if no one is available to take you right away, call 911 for emergency transport. While waiting for the ambulance to arrive, begin self-treatment.

What Types of Doctors Treat Hives and Angioedema?

Primary-care specialists, including pediatricians, internists, and family practice specialists, may treat hives and angioedema. If a severe reaction occurs, an emergency-medicine specialist may treat hives and angioedema. For diagnosis and treatment of allergies over the long-term, an allergist-immunologist is typically involved.

Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 4/15/2016

Must Read Articles Related to Hives and Angioedema

Allergic Reaction
Allergic Reaction An allergic reaction is an overreaction to a harmless substance. Symptoms and signs of an allergic reaction include hives, rashes, swelling, itching, wheezing, ...learn more >>
Eczema Eczema is a term frequently used to describe any s...learn more >>
HIV Transmission and the History of HIV/AIDS
HIV Transmission and the History of HIV AIDS In the late '70s, the syndrome caused by the HIV ...learn more >>

Patient Comments & Reviews

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hives and Angioedema:

Hives - Home Remedies

Do you know of effective home remedies for hives? Please describe them.

Hives - Causes

What caused your hives?

Hives - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hives.

Hives - Treatment

What treatment did you receive for hives and angioedema?

Hives - Prevention

What do you do to prevent hives?

Hives - Diagnosis

How were your hives diagnosed?

Read What Your Physician is Reading on Medscape

Angioedema »

Angioedema is a subcutaneous extension of urticaria, resulting in deep swelling within subcutaneous sites.

Read More on Medscape Reference »

Medical Dictionary