Hives and Angioedema (cont.)
IN THIS ARTICLE
The treatment of hives depends on the severity of the symptoms. For mild to moderately severe localized symptoms, a nonprescription antihistamine by mouth is usually adequate, along with skin-care measures for comfort. For more severe cases, an injection or short course of a corticosteroid may be needed to rapidly reduce swelling and itching.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 6/4/2014
Must Read Articles Related to Hives and Angioedema
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hives and Angioedema:
Hives - Home Remedies
What home remedies have been effective for your hives?
Hives - Describe Your Experience
Please describe your experience with hives.
Hives - Causes
What caused your hives?
- Allergic Rhinitis: Symptoms and Treatments
- Antihistamines vs. Decongestants
- Treating Severe Allergies
- Symptoms of a Severe Allergic Reaction
- Breast Cancer Treatment Options
- Is Your Body Ready for Pregnancy?