Viewer Comments: Hives - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hives and Angioedema:

Hives - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hives.

Comment from: branf123, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 09

My hive outbreak started on my upper body. I began Benadryl for relief. I slept and awoke feeling better. Later, I broke out more severely. The hives range from small raised bumps to larger patches of welts. My family physician prescribed prednisone and to continue with the Benadryl. After a sleepless night, and my eyes swollen I went to the hospital. After several hours of IV medications, I finally had some relief and was sent home. Four hours later I was right back where I was in sheer agony. The itching has been unbearable and I have bruised myself trying to relieve it. The medications provide only temporary relief and the hives do not disappear at all. At present no one knows the cause. I am exhausted from lack of sleep and am embarrassed to be seen in public.

Comment from: dana, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

I have had the hives for seven years now with no relief after seeing an internist, dermatologist, and doctors and the Mayo Clinic. I am now on ranidine, Allegra, and Albutetrol. I am still having major breakouts at times where the drugs aren't controlling at all. I am miserable as the itching is unbearable. It is so frustrating. I am still trying to figure out on my own a process of eliminating things that could cause this. It seems if I catch a cold bug or something I get a severe reaction.

Comment from: pjm, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 31

I started getting rashes or hives when I was on the Pegasys treatment for genotype 3 hepatitis C. The treatment didn't work but from 2009 to the present time I have been visited with hives on a regular basis since that treatment.

Comment from: Foofy, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 27

I have been breaking out in hives for five months now. Two to three times a month, I have a breakout on my face, tongue, lips, eyes, and cheeks. I have to carry an Epi-pen.

Comment from: scooter, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

My experience with hives started five years ago, about a month after knee replacement surgery. My skin started to itch and the more I scratched the worse it got and eventually spread over my entire body, except my face. This all happened within 15 minutes and I called 911 when it became hard to breathe. They started treating me in ambulance for anaphylactic shock. The itching, hives were treated with prednisone for 10 days and within two days, the rash was gone. This has now happened 10 times since then. I am now armed with an Epi-Pen, Benadryl and Prednisone at all times.

Comment from: Stacyg123, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 15

I had my first case of hives at the age of 35 about 4 years ago and they lasted for about 8 months. It was the worst on my hands and feet, especially at night. I then broke out from head to toe and was diagnosed with idiopathic urticaria. They come and go, but this past year I developed pressure hives and now I cannot wear heeled shoes, tight shoes, or anything that puts pressure on my body. Within hours of wearing a pair of heels or doing physical work with my hands, my hands and feet will swell to twice the size and I cannot walk or bend my fingers for days. I hate this and I feel like I'm going nuts sometimes because I look like I am diseased at times and it's hard for people to understand.

Comment from: julie, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 03

My 7 year old mother in law had cancers removed from her hand and was given a cream treatment by her doctor to finish the process of killing the cancer cells. After 2-3weeks of this treatment she now has hives all over her body. She has been given prednisone for 7 days but she has had no relief.

Comment from: sher, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 12

After visiting my favorite Chinese restaurant on Wednesday and eating exactly what I eat every time. My arm started to itch; my lip swelled and I broke out all over. I went to ER and they hooked me up intravenously for the evening. It helped some. Went home at 10:30PM and returned to ER next night for the same issues, but this time they admitted me for the night. Went home Friday night and Saturday morning, I still had a 102.9 fever. Sun morning, the fever finally broke but was still covered from head to toe with blotches. I returned to work on Thursday. I was given 50mg steroids for 5 days. The doctor said it was something I ate. The rash is gone today.

Must Read Articles Related to Hives and Angioedema

Allergic Reaction
Allergic Reaction An allergic reaction is an overreaction to a harmless substance. Symptoms and signs of an learn more >>
Eczema Eczema is a term frequently used to describe any sort of dermatitis. Causes of eczema is generally accepted to be genetically inherited. Common triggers of atop...learn more >>
Rash A rash is a visible skin outbreak. Examples of noninfectious rashes include eczema, psoriasis, contact dermatitis, seborrheic dermatitis, rosacea, hives, and al...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hives and Angioedema:

Hives - Causes

What caused your hives?

Hives - Home Remedies

What home remedies have been effective for your hives?

Hives - Treatment

What kind of treatment are you getting for your hives and angioedema?

Hives - Prevention

What strategies do you use to try to prevent hives?

Hives - Diagnosis

How were your hives diagnosed?