Viewer Comments: Hives - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hives and Angioedema:

Hives - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hives.

Comment from: scooter, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

My experience with hives started five years ago, about a month after knee replacement surgery. My skin started to itch and the more I scratched the worse it got and eventually spread over my entire body, except my face. This all happened within 15 minutes and I called 911 when it became hard to breathe. They started treating me in ambulance for anaphylactic shock. The itching, hives were treated with prednisone for 10 days and within two days, the rash was gone. This has now happened 10 times since then. I am now armed with an Epi-Pen, Benadryl and Prednisone at all times.

Comment from: Stacyg123, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 15

I had my first case of hives at the age of 35 about 4 years ago and they lasted for about 8 months. It was the worst on my hands and feet, especially at night. I then broke out from head to toe and was diagnosed with idiopathic urticaria. They come and go, but this past year I developed pressure hives and now I cannot wear heeled shoes, tight shoes, or anything that puts pressure on my body. Within hours of wearing a pair of heels or doing physical work with my hands, my hands and feet will swell to twice the size and I cannot walk or bend my fingers for days. I hate this and I feel like I'm going nuts sometimes because I look like I am diseased at times and it's hard for people to understand.

Comment from: julie, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 03

My 7 year old mother in law had cancers removed from her hand and was given a cream treatment by her doctor to finish the process of killing the cancer cells. After 2-3weeks of this treatment she now has hives all over her body. She has been given prednisone for 7 days but she has had no relief.

Comment from: sher, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 12

After visiting my favorite Chinese restaurant on Wednesday and eating exactly what I eat every time. My arm started to itch; my lip swelled and I broke out all over. I went to ER and they hooked me up intravenously for the evening. It helped some. Went home at 10:30PM and returned to ER next night for the same issues, but this time they admitted me for the night. Went home Friday night and Saturday morning, I still had a 102.9 fever. Sun morning, the fever finally broke but was still covered from head to toe with blotches. I returned to work on Thursday. I was given 50mg steroids for 5 days. The doctor said it was something I ate. The rash is gone today.

Comment from: janeEsmith, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 11

I have had lifelong chronic hives, often with acute episodes needing emergency treatment along with periods of remission. I am 48 years old and I have had chronic itchy spots for three years with residual hyperpigmentation. I have had two skin biopsies with no conclusive results. Today, I found "Raised erythematous wheals with postinflammatory hyperpigmentations suggest urticarial vasculitis" on eMedicine today. Now I know which direction to go.

Comment from: HopingAndWishing, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I had my first outbreak of hives six days ago. It started on my upper arms and now on my forearms and hands as well as upper legs and waist and chest area. At first I thought it was an allergic reaction to an allergy medicine similar to Claritin that I took earlier that day. After a few days of the hives coming back I with flare-ups occurring shortly after eating I thought it was a food allergy. I've been taking Benadryl and using an anti-itch gel called Caladryl Clear to help with the itching. After taking a shower yesterday my whole body was covered in hives and now believe it is caused by a new body wash I started using. When I go to sleep it seems to be the only time the hives are not present. Shortly after waking up they reappear and start itching. And I start the treatments all over again. I am stopping the use of the body wash and will be trying a soapless cleanser(Cetaphyl or Dove) today in hopes it will help with the hives.

Comment from: helpless, 35-44 Female Published: November 12

I suffer from stress induced hives. My first attack was about 7 years ago when I was in nursing school, working 2 jobs and I'm a single mother. It took 4 months to go away. I tried so many different treatments, none of which worked. I was given Benadryl, Atarax, Prednisone, H2 blockers and the response was more hives and my hair started to fall out. I ultimately stopped everything when I figured out they were caused by stress. I began doing yoga and meditation and within a week or two they began to diminish on their own. 6 weeks ago I was involved in a motor vehicle crash suffering a closed head injury and 2 weeks later my father died. Needless to say the hives returned with a vengeance. I'm doing everything I know to do, but this time nothing is helping and I feel ugly, debilitated and so out of control. I wish there was a CURE!!

Must Read Articles Related to Hives and Angioedema

Allergic Reaction
Allergic Reaction An allergic reaction is an overreaction to a harmless substance. Symptoms and signs of an allergic reaction include hives, rashes, swelling, itching, wheezing, ...learn more >>
Eczema
Eczema Eczema is a term frequently used to describe any sort of dermatitis. Causes of eczema is generally accepted to be genetically inherited. Common triggers of atop...learn more >>
Rash
Rash A rash is a visible skin outbreak. Examples of noninfectious rashes include eczema, psoriasis, contact dermatitis, seborrheic dermatitis, rosacea, hives, and al...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hives and Angioedema:

Hives - Home Remedies

What home remedies have been effective for your hives?

Hives - Causes