Viewer Comments: Hives - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hives and Angioedema:

Hives - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hives.

Published: June 16

My 7 year old son has had a recurrence of hives and angioedema for almost a year now. It started when we moved houses. It started by severe swelling of lips and later on the appearance of hives. Sometimes, his genitalia swell. We have been to the doctor and he was placed on piriton. He still has few hives all over his body. I feel for him, because when it happens, he hardly gets any sleep. The pediatrician said it might be a change of detergent and recommended non-bio detergent. We are still at it and I pray it goes away for my son.

Comment from: fit2betied, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 10

I am a 46 year old male, and my first bout of welts occurred after I left my first wife, stress was the kicker. Then this past November, what started with a itchy palm turned into a six weeks of welts forming and moving all over my body, until I had an episode bad enough to attack my throat and effect my breathing so much that I went to the ER. I had another visit to the ER about a month later with more breathing issues. I now have to have an Epipen with me all the time and I take loridine daily with prednisone as well. Stress is my biggest factor and I hope that I can get control of that, but the fear of having an episode can elevate my stress! Ive also been told that daily covering in a medicated lotion will help calm my skin flare ups

Comment from: muchofancy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I have had severe hive breakouts for over 30 years. I have been to every doctor. My doctor prescribed a low dose of "XANAX" They went away instantly for years. Now I do not take Xanax and the hives are back in full force. I have tried hundreds of medicines and they are the only thing that would permanently rid me of these horrible welts.

Must Read Articles Related to Hives and Angioedema

Allergic Reaction
Allergic Reaction An allergic reaction is an overreaction to a harmless substance. Symptoms and signs of an allergic reaction include hives, rashes, swelling, itching, wheezing, ...learn more >>
Eczema
Eczema Eczema is a term frequently used to describe any sort of dermatitis. Causes of eczema is generally accepted to be genetically inherited. Common triggers of atop...learn more >>
Rash
Rash A rash is a visible skin outbreak. Examples of noninfectious rashes include eczema, psoriasis, contact dermatitis, seborrheic dermatitis, rosacea, hives, and al...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hives and Angioedema:

Hives - Causes

What caused your hives?

Hives - Home Remedies

What home remedies have been effective for your hives?