Viewer Comments: Hives - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hives and Angioedema:

Hives - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hives.

Comment from: janeEsmith, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 11

I have had lifelong chronic hives, often with acute episodes needing emergency treatment along with periods of remission. I am 48 years old and I have had chronic itchy spots for three years with residual hyperpigmentation. I have had two skin biopsies with no conclusive results. Today, I found "Raised erythematous wheals with postinflammatory hyperpigmentations suggest urticarial vasculitis" on eMedicine today. Now I know which direction to go.

Comment from: HopingAndWishing, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I had my first outbreak of hives six days ago. It started on my upper arms and now on my forearms and hands as well as upper legs and waist and chest area. At first I thought it was an allergic reaction to an allergy medicine similar to Claritin that I took earlier that day. After a few days of the hives coming back I with flare-ups occurring shortly after eating I thought it was a food allergy. I've been taking Benadryl and using an anti-itch gel called Caladryl Clear to help with the itching. After taking a shower yesterday my whole body was covered in hives and now believe it is caused by a new body wash I started using. When I go to sleep it seems to be the only time the hives are not present. Shortly after waking up they reappear and start itching. And I start the treatments all over again. I am stopping the use of the body wash and will be trying a soapless cleanser(Cetaphyl or Dove) today in hopes it will help with the hives.

Comment from: helpless, 35-44 Female Published: November 12

I suffer from stress induced hives. My first attack was about 7 years ago when I was in nursing school, working 2 jobs and I'm a single mother. It took 4 months to go away. I tried so many different treatments, none of which worked. I was given Benadryl, Atarax, Prednisone, H2 blockers and the response was more hives and my hair started to fall out. I ultimately stopped everything when I figured out they were caused by stress. I began doing yoga and meditation and within a week or two they began to diminish on their own. 6 weeks ago I was involved in a motor vehicle crash suffering a closed head injury and 2 weeks later my father died. Needless to say the hives returned with a vengeance. I'm doing everything I know to do, but this time nothing is helping and I feel ugly, debilitated and so out of control. I wish there was a CURE!!

Published: June 16

My 7 year old son has had a recurrence of hives and angioedema for almost a year now. It started when we moved houses. It started by severe swelling of lips and later on the appearance of hives. Sometimes, his genitalia swell. We have been to the doctor and he was placed on piriton. He still has few hives all over his body. I feel for him, because when it happens, he hardly gets any sleep. The pediatrician said it might be a change of detergent and recommended non-bio detergent. We are still at it and I pray it goes away for my son.

Comment from: fit2betied, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 10

I am a 46 year old male, and my first bout of welts occurred after I left my first wife, stress was the kicker. Then this past November, what started with a itchy palm turned into a six weeks of welts forming and moving all over my body, until I had an episode bad enough to attack my throat and effect my breathing so much that I went to the ER. I had another visit to the ER about a month later with more breathing issues. I now have to have an Epipen with me all the time and I take loridine daily with prednisone as well. Stress is my biggest factor and I hope that I can get control of that, but the fear of having an episode can elevate my stress! Ive also been told that daily covering in a medicated lotion will help calm my skin flare ups

Comment from: muchofancy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I have had severe hive breakouts for over 30 years. I have been to every doctor. My doctor prescribed a low dose of "XANAX" They went away instantly for years. Now I do not take Xanax and the hives are back in full force. I have tried hundreds of medicines and they are the only thing that would permanently rid me of these horrible welts.

Must Read Articles Related to Hives and Angioedema

Allergic Reaction
Allergic Reaction An allergic reaction is an overreaction to a harmless substance. Symptoms and signs of an learn more >>
Eczema Eczema is a term frequently used to describe any sort of dermatitis. Causes of eczema is generally accepted to be genetically inherited. Common triggers of atop...learn more >>
Rash A rash is a visible skin outbreak. Examples of noninfectious rashes include eczema, psoriasis, contact dermatitis, seborrheic dermatitis, rosacea, hives, and al...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hives and Angioedema:

Hives - Causes

What caused your hives?

Hives - Home Remedies

What home remedies have been effective for your hives?

Hives - Treatment

What kind of treatment are you getting for your hives and angioedema?

Hives - Prevention

What strategies do you use to try to prevent hives?

Hives - Diagnosis

How were your hives diagnosed?