Viewer Comments: Hives - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hives and Angioedema:

Hives - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hives.

Comment from: (Linda, Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I was either stung or bitten on top my right hand while wearing yardwork gloves. It was about 88 degrees outside. I removed the glove but couldn't find what caused the sting or bite. It hurt like a wasp bite. My hand started swelling. By the time I got to my house my palms were itching, next my elbows, my bra area, back, scalp, the back of my knees, my vaginal area, my rectum, the top of both feet. It was maddening. It was like having an instant yeast infection in my vaginal area, rectum and my tongue turned white with coating. My eyelids swelled and the white of my eyes turned pink. I showered, and it made the hives worse. I filled the tub with cold water, a quart of white vinegar and a box of baking soda. The itching was unbearable. The welts were everywhere but on my face. But my nose and chin were really red. I took a Benadryl that was about 10 years old out of desperation. About 55 minutes after the sting, I drove myself to an urgent care office. I was given a shot of prednisone, a prescription of prednisone and a prescription for hydroxide for the itching. The medicines helped immediately. Most of the welts and swelling are gone now, approximately 40 hours later. If this should happen again, I will skip the shower, bath and find someone to drive me to the urgent care because I really was light headed and I shouldn't have been driving. I have had my share of yeast infections and poison ivy infections but this itching from the sting or bite was worse than anything I've ever experienced.

Comment from: DeesDaughter, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 23

I assume it is hives. For years, 10 or more, I get what I thought was a bug bite or multiple bug bites at the top of my leg/hip area. Severe itching to the point I break the skin and it is a raw mess. This happens once or twice every summer and I wake up with it. When it occurs I would freak out about what bug is in my bed and strip everything from the bed and wash it in hot water. I have mattress pads that encase the entire mattress. Since it happens in the summer it must be heat. I don't walk around in short shorts or any shorts for that matter. I don't have a tolerance for hot weather or extreme exercise. I think it is odd that it is very limited in frequency. I have never mentioned it to my doctor.

Comment from: Meri, Female (Patient) Published: June 18

I have been suffering from hives for two years. My doctor did all the allergy test and found nothing, I take Reactine when they appear. In the morning they start all over my body, and I am itchy and very irritated. They are driving me nuts because any doctor I go to tells me he doesn't know why they came and when they will disappear. Lately I have been suffering from bronchitis and they sent me to do test for asthma. I am scared, I feel so bad that they are not going. I have a family, and I feel so tired and can't do too much. I hope these doctors find medications to make them go away forever.

Comment from: Confused patient, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I have been experiencing hives and angioedema for a while now. The swelling gets back when I am not on antihistamines. I got worried when my face and lips were affected. So I got to see a doctor who prescribed some bitter medicines. I took the drugs for 9 days and on the last day I skipped just to test if this condition is over, but the swelling came back. I switched houses and the condition started after one month. It is a horrible experience for me as you have to cancel dates because of this swelling. Meanwhile I will be visiting my doctor today with my research answers since I think he has been treating the wrong thing. I am disappointed.

Comment from: wonderwoman, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I started getting hives when I moved to a different area where well water is provided. The area I was born does not use well water. I've had them really bad since 2008 after taking some medication for a urinary infection I had, and they have just gotten worse and worse. I don't like taking pills, and I am suppose to take fexofenadine everyday or twice a day, but I only take it every other day or if it's really bad I will take it once a day every day until they subside. It's horrible and I am just waiting for it to go away, I feel disabled and it makes me feel unattractive and I have always been fairly good looking, but with these hives its just awful. I will pray for anyone who suffers from this almost debilitating thing.

I am experiencing my third bout of hives. The first time was in 1980. I was traveling on an extended vacation. Mount St Helen erupted and I was covered in hives within two to three days. They lasted for about a year. The second episode occurred after we had Hurricane Isabel. They were extremely severe, scratching until my body was covered with scabs secondary to bleeding from digging to control the itching. I went on multiple medications including prednisone, which caused problems with my diabetes. I took Ranitidine to knock them out. Then, approximately six weeks ago, within 30 miles from our home, we had tornado come through. Suddenly I am covered in hives. They are head to toe. The itching is most intense on my shoulders and trunk of body plus the ankles. I have been on Ranitidine for maintenance since then.

Must Read Articles Related to Hives and Angioedema

Allergic Reaction
Allergic Reaction An allergic reaction is an overreaction to a harmless substance. Symptoms and signs of an allergic reaction include hives, rashes, swelling, itching, wheezing, ...learn more >>
Eczema
Eczema Eczema is a term frequently used to describe any s...learn more >>
Rash
Rash A rash is a visible skin outbreak. Examples of nonin...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hives and Angioedema:

Hives - Home Remedies

Do you know of effective home remedies for hives? Please describe them.

Hives - Causes

What caused your hives?

Hives - Treatment

What treatment did you receive for hives and angioedema?

Hives - Prevention

What do you do to prevent hives?

Hives - Diagnosis

How were your hives diagnosed?