Viewer Comments: Hives - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hives and Angioedema:

Hives - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hives.

Comment from: DeesDaughter, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 23

I assume it is hives. For years, 10 or more, I get what I thought was a bug bite or multiple bug bites at the top of my leg/hip area. Severe itching to the point I break the skin and it is a raw mess. This happens once or twice every summer and I wake up with it. When it occurs I would freak out about what bug is in my bed and strip everything from the bed and wash it in hot water. I have mattress pads that encase the entire mattress. Since it happens in the summer it must be heat. I don't walk around in short shorts or any shorts for that matter. I don't have a tolerance for hot weather or extreme exercise. I think it is odd that it is very limited in frequency. I have never mentioned it to my doctor.

Comment from: Meri, Female (Patient) Published: June 18

I have been suffering from hives for two years. My doctor did all the allergy test and found nothing, I take Reactine when they appear. In the morning they start all over my body, and I am itchy and very irritated. They are driving me nuts because any doctor I go to tells me he doesn't know why they came and when they will disappear. Lately I have been suffering from bronchitis and they sent me to do test for asthma. I am scared, I feel so bad that they are not going. I have a family, and I feel so tired and can't do too much. I hope these doctors find medications to make them go away forever.

Comment from: Confused patient, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I have been experiencing hives and angioedema for a while now. The swelling gets back when I am not on antihistamines. I got worried when my face and lips were affected. So I got to see a doctor who prescribed some bitter medicines. I took the drugs for 9 days and on the last day I skipped just to test if this condition is over, but the swelling came back. I switched houses and the condition started after one month. It is a horrible experience for me as you have to cancel dates because of this swelling. Meanwhile I will be visiting my doctor today with my research answers since I think he has been treating the wrong thing. I am disappointed.

Comment from: wonderwoman, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I started getting hives when I moved to a different area where well water is provided. The area I was born does not use well water. I've had them really bad since 2008 after taking some medication for a urinary infection I had, and they have just gotten worse and worse. I don't like taking pills, and I am suppose to take fexofenadine everyday or twice a day, but I only take it every other day or if it's really bad I will take it once a day every day until they subside. It's horrible and I am just waiting for it to go away, I feel disabled and it makes me feel unattractive and I have always been fairly good looking, but with these hives its just awful. I will pray for anyone who suffers from this almost debilitating thing.

I am experiencing my third bout of hives. The first time was in 1980. I was traveling on an extended vacation. Mount St Helen erupted and I was covered in hives within two to three days. They lasted for about a year. The second episode occurred after we had Hurricane Isabel. They were extremely severe, scratching until my body was covered with scabs secondary to bleeding from digging to control the itching. I went on multiple medications including prednisone, which caused problems with my diabetes. I took Ranitidine to knock them out. Then, approximately six weeks ago, within 30 miles from our home, we had tornado come through. Suddenly I am covered in hives. They are head to toe. The itching is most intense on my shoulders and trunk of body plus the ankles. I have been on Ranitidine for maintenance since then.

Comment from: Kat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 22

I began having severe hives on my face three months ago following retinal surgery. I am not sure if it was caused by the surgery or the change from Diovan to a generic, which occurred at the same time. Nothing helps except ice packs, which I cannot use while working with the public of course. All creams or anti-itch remedies make it worse.

Comment from: beautifulmess, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

I woke up itching. I thought it was due to my bed sheet so, I told my mom to change it. And then when I was about to take a shower I saw patch-like marks on my arms and my legs. They we're pinkish red in color. My friend told me it could be hives. It's been four days since it began.

Comment from: LaurieD545, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 18

I've had food allergies most of my life. First, tomatoes and then strawberries. I suddenly developed an allergy to shellfish and seafood. I used to love crab meat sandwiches for lunch, but in the second grade, my classmates got to see what I had for lunch. It was the beginning of my love/hate relationship with food. Ten or so years ago, I was able to go enjoy a dinner out by myself and chose a Chinese restaurant. I ordered a soup and my entree. I ate my soup while reading my book, not looking at the bowl. My face got very itchy and I got very nauseous. Looked at the spoon and tiny baby shrimp were floating there. Shrimp was not mentioned in the description of the soup, and I had to hurry home for some Benadryl. I have had a couple of serious reactions since, after eating out, but not ordering anything seafood, tomato nor strawberry related, and wound up on a series of Prednisone treatments. My face swells significantly, and the swelling I swear moves around my face. My nose will be swollen and then the swelling moves to my eyes, and so on. It's terrifying and very upsetting to my family.

Must Read Articles Related to Hives and Angioedema

Allergic Reaction
Allergic Reaction An allergic reaction is an overreaction to a harmless substance. Symptoms and signs of an allergic reaction include hives, rashes, swelling, itching, wheezing, ...learn more >>
Eczema
Eczema Eczema is a term frequently used to describe any sort of dermatitis. Causes of eczema is generally accepted to be genetically inherited. Common triggers of atop...learn more >>
Rash
Rash A rash is a visible skin outbreak. Examples of noninfectious rashes include eczema, psoriasis, contact dermatitis, seborrheic dermatitis, rosacea, hives, and al...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hives and Angioedema:

Hives - Home Remedies

Do you know of effective home remedies for hives? Please describe them.

Hives - Causes

What caused your hives?

Hives - Treatment

What treatment did you receive for hives and angioedema?

Hives - Prevention

What do you do to prevent hives?

Hives - Diagnosis

How were your hives diagnosed?