Home Pregnancy Test (cont.)
Home Pregnancy Test Preparation
To get the best results from your home test kit, follow the instructions that come with the kit.
- Read the label and instructions carefully: Review all instructions and pictures to make sure you understand how to perform the test. The instructions will tell you the following information:
- What the test is for and what it is not for
- How to collect and store your urine sample
- When and how to run the test, including timing instructions
- How to interpret the test results
- What might interfere with the test results
- The manufacturer's phone number if you have questions
- Only use tests regulated by FDA: Ask the pharmacist how can you know if a home use test is regulated by the FDA. If a test is not regulated by FDA, the US government has not determined the product to be reasonably safe or effective.
- Follow all instructions: You must follow all test instructions to get an accurate result. Most home tests require specific timing, materials, and sample amounts. You should also check the expiration dates and storage conditions before performing a test to make sure the components still work correctly.
- Keep good records of your testing.
- Call the 800 telephone number listed on your home use test if you have any questions.
- When in doubt, contact your doctor: All tests can give false results (meaning the test indicates you are pregnant but you may not be, or the test says you are not pregnant and you are). You should see your doctor if you believe your test results are wrong or to confirm the result.
Don't change medications or dosages based on a home test without talking to your doctor.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 7/23/2014
Francisco Talavera, PharmD, PhD
Must Read Articles Related to Home Pregnancy Test
A miscarriage (spontaneous abortion) is a pregnancy that spontaneously ends before the fetus can survive. There are classifications of miscarriage that include ...learn more >>
The symptoms of early pregnancy a pregnant woman may experience include missed periods, abdominal bloating, nausea and vomiting, breast tenderness and pain, foo...learn more >>
Pregnancy Week by Week
Pregnancy occurs when an egg is fertilized by a sperm, grows inside a woman's uterus (womb), and develops into a baby. In humans, this process takes about 280 d...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Home Pregnancy Test: