Viewer Comments: Hot Flashes - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hot Flashes:

Hot Flashes - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hot flashes.

Comment from: Lou, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I was experiencing mild hot flashes from the beginning of the premenopausal symptom of no period. I had my last monthly cycle in February and now in July I am no longer experiencing hot flashes. I am 49 and very confused about the wide range of symptoms associated with menopause. Am I lucky or will my cycle start again with the symptoms escalating.

Comment from: helpme, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 09

In the past 6 years I have suffered. My menopause started with deep depression than came the severe hot flashes. Thank god the depression isn't as bad as it was but just before a hot flash come and I get this down feeling. I've been to doctors they have prescribed Prozac, Premarin low level hormone. Nothing seems to help. I am crying now as I write this. My hot flashes are so severe I want to end it all sometimes. I haven't had a decent night's sleep in years. I go through the everyday motions for my family I know that God is keeping me sane. I have tried everything but I am willing to try anything I am 53 years old.

Comment from: Montessori teacher 1, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I was angry for a long time but didn't realize it until it stopped, almost in one day. My family was so relieved. Then, a few months later, my periods stopped, at about age 47. Hot flashes began that leave sweat on my upper lip, forehead, armpits, trunk and crotch. Even my feet sweat during a hot flash. They have been unchanged , but less frequent, for the last 11 years, even during the three years I took Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT). During the day I try to ignore them. During the night, I was awakened every 45 minutes; I was not asleep long enough to go through a complete sleep/brain wave cycle. No wonder I was forgetful and grouchy. Now I awaken 4 to 5 times a night, roll over, feel the heat start, throw off the covers and try to fall back to sleep, cover up again when I get cold. I sleep for the first 3 hours solid, then the flashes start up. I can have them as often as every 15 minutes, day or night, but not usually. I was diagnosed with breast cancer June 2009. No family history. I blame the HRT that I took for 3 years (stopped 4 years before diagnosis). Now I must take a drug, Tamoxifen, for the next 5 years that the oncologist assures me will make my hot flashes worse. My marriage has suffered over these last 11 years, since I break into a sweat any time my husband and I try to snuggle, cuddle, or just have much skin contact. I feel so un-sexy now. And once I start the Tamoxifen, it will get worse.