Viewer Comments: Hot Flashes - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hot Flashes:

Hot Flashes - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Hot Flashes.

Comment from: pammi, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 10

They are terrible! I sweat like a man, I'm so hot I can't stand it, I take a fan almost every where I go, everywhere with an electric outlet. I'm African American, my hair "goes back” and frizzes up, I can't keep my hair done, relaxers just don't work any more. My deodorant cooks off, near the end of the day, I would smell something and realized it was me! I carry a baggy and washcloth and deodorant with me, in my purse. I am up maybe 3-4 times a night, my nightgown is usually soaked, from sweating. I always said I would be glad when menopause started, but boy was I wrong! I would have a period maybe once every 5 months, and even though the period would be very heavy, the other symptoms would stop. I'd be glad for the period.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I have had uterus removed which is called abdominal hysterectomy and then years later I had my right ovary removed. I have had trouble with my left ovary every since. I was given a birth control shot 2 months ago I am 42 I think the shot was called premovara or something with a P. Now for the last month I have severe hot flashes all day and night. I have to change my shirt about 7 times a day. It is summer time and air conditioner is on. I had to turn down to 74 and it is still too cold. Every time I soak my shirt and my hair gets soaked I freeze so back under covers then hot again then take off covers and freeze again. I am exhausted and want to leave my home and run away from husband and dogs. I would have never left my dogs in a million years. Children are grown and doggies are my babies, but lately I would leave everything to just run away but where would I go. I had a pelvic ultrasound 2 days ago and ovary was shrunk so small she could hardly find it. 6 weeks ago it was big as softball. I really feel the shot has put me into premature or full blown menopause. I go back to OBGYN in 6 weeks for another shot. I am going to get blood test to check for menopause before I let them give me a shot. My mother had breast cancer stage 3 and is a 10 year survivor now but they have already told me no hormones and estrogen for me when I have menopause because of my mother. I am miserable and tired hot and cold. I hate it. I thought it only lasted 1 year but after reading about it lasting 5-10 I don't think I can take it that long.

Comment from: Lori, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 27

I get the hottest hot flashes. I'm always hot, and I always need a fan or an air conditioner, even in the winter when everyone else is cold. This has been going on for nearly 10 years. I was 47 when my period stopped. My face turns red like a tomato whenever I do anything, and sweat pours off me.

Comment from: toeter, 55-64 Female Published: August 16

I have been postmenopausal for seven years now -- or I thought so. During the 8 years of menopause I did experience hot flashes, but not severely. They started between my shoulder blades spreading and rising up through my neck -- I found it fascinating, and fortunately didn't sweat much! Now, I seem to be having hot flashes again, which happens both night and day lasting about 4 minutes, and since the last couple of days.

Comment from: Lou, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I was experiencing mild hot flashes from the beginning of the premenopausal symptom of no period. I had my last monthly cycle in February and now in July I am no longer experiencing hot flashes. I am 49 and very confused about the wide range of symptoms associated with menopause. Am I lucky or will my cycle start again with the symptoms escalating.

Comment from: helpme, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 09

In the past 6 years I have suffered. My menopause started with deep depression than came the severe hot flashes. Thank god the depression isn't as bad as it was but just before a hot flash come and I get this down feeling. I've been to doctors they have prescribed Prozac, Premarin low level hormone. Nothing seems to help. I am crying now as I write this. My hot flashes are so severe I want to end it all sometimes. I haven't had a decent night's sleep in years. I go through the everyday motions for my family I know that God is keeping me sane. I have tried everything but I am willing to try anything I am 53 years old.

Comment from: Montessori teacher 1, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I was angry for a long time but didn't realize it until it stopped, almost in one day. My family was so relieved. Then, a few months later, my periods stopped, at about age 47. Hot flashes began that leave sweat on my upper lip, forehead, armpits, trunk and crotch. Even my feet sweat during a hot flash. They have been unchanged , but less frequent, for the last 11 years, even during the three years I took Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT). During the day I try to ignore them. During the night, I was awakened every 45 minutes; I was not asleep long enough to go through a complete sleep/brain wave cycle. No wonder I was forgetful and grouchy. Now I awaken 4 to 5 times a night, roll over, feel the heat start, throw off the covers and try to fall back to sleep, cover up again when I get cold. I sleep for the first 3 hours solid, then the flashes start up. I can have them as often as every 15 minutes, day or night, but not usually. I was diagnosed with breast cancer June 2009. No family history. I blame the HRT that I took for 3 years (stopped 4 years before diagnosis). Now I must take a drug, Tamoxifen, for the next 5 years that the oncologist assures me will make my hot flashes worse. My marriage has suffered over these last 11 years, since I break into a sweat any time my husband and I try to snuggle, cuddle, or just have much skin contact. I feel so un-sexy now. And once I start the Tamoxifen, it will get worse.

Must Read Articles Related to Hot Flashes and Menopause

Female Sexual Problems
Female Sexual Problems Long considered a taboo subject, women's sexuality is now openly discussed and portrayed on television, in magazines, and on the internet. Symptoms of female se...learn more >>
Hormone Replacement and Osteoporosis
Hormone Replacement and Osteoporosis Hormones are produced by glands in our bodies. They are chemicals that have specific effects on different parts of our bodies. For example, the ovaries produce ...learn more >>
Night Sweats
Night Sweats Night sweats refer to excess sweating occurring during the night. Causes include menopause, infections, cancers, medications, hypoglycemia, and hormone disorder...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hot Flashes:

Hot Flashes - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your hot flashes?