- Effect: damages the thyroid cells that make thyroid
hormone. This is the most common permanent treatment of hyperthyroidism in the
- During pregnancy, radioactive iodine may destroy fetal thyroid tissue.
- Breastfeeding women may pass radioactive iodine through breast milk.
- A six month waiting period before pregnancy is suggested after therapy.
- Most patients treated become hypothyroid and require lifelong thyroid
hormone replacement therapy
- Elderly patients and cardiac patients have increased risk of 131I-(radioactive
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 11/10/2014
Stephanie L Lee, MD, PhD, FACE
Sonia Ananthakrishnan, MD
Must Read Articles Related to Hyperthyroidism
The thyroid gland is part of the endocrine (hormone) system. The thyroid gland produces two hormones, thyroxine (T4) and tri-iodothyronine (T3). Diseases of the...learn more >>
Thyroid nodules are lumps that are either solid or fluid-filled. Thyroid nodules may be benign or malignant (cancerous). Thyroid nodules may be caused by goiter...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hyperthyroidism: