Viewer Comments: Hyperthyroidism - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hyperthyroidism:

Hyperthyroidism - Symptoms

For hyperthyroidism, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: tinkerbell, Female Published: April 23

I had suffered with tremors, night sweats, anxiety and almost all other symptoms for about a year and thought it was stress related. I finally had trouble breathing and a very large lump on my throat that scared me enough to send me to hospital. I have been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and most of my symptoms have been relieved. However, I still have a large uncomfortable lump on my neck, and it is starting to affect what I can eat.

Comment from: Chi, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I experienced fatigue, muscle weakness, hair loss, rapid weight loss; a rapid heartbeat, intolerance for heat, nausea, vomiting and irregular periods. I could not figure out what was going on with me until I wound up in the hospital and had a blood test. My doctor was trying to deal with my many symptoms and failed to diagnose hyperthyroidism on time.

Comment from: TeenGirl, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

My doctor has recently informed that she believes I have a thyroid problem. I am very skinny but close to a healthy weight. I eat normally and I have not lost a lot of weight ever, nor have I gained lot either. I have gone through the symptoms and many apply to me. I have had loss of my period or a very light one recently which should not be happening since I have had it regularly for three years. I don't sleep well. There is a constant pressure on my throat. I tire easily. I am scared that my doctors are right, and I do have this.

Related Reading: thyroid

Comment from: dennysat, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 11

Looking over the symptoms for HT, I do have many of them including itching and burning eyes. Blood tests indicate low T3 and T4 but no antibodies.

Comment from: smm123344@aol.com, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

I've had hyperthyroidism/Grave's disease for a year now. I didn't know what was happening to me. I started losing a lot of weight -- at least 30 -- pounds which really didn't bother me. That's when the racing heartbeat came, and I started having really bad panic attacks sweating all the time, so I finally had to be rushed to the ER, where I found my heart rate was up to 200! That's when they told me I was having thyroid storm. I'm only 22 years old and I didn't know why this was happening. I now have a 10-month-old and it feels like it is starting to come back. I hope I don't feel this way forever!

Comment from: alliem, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I've been hyperthyroid for quite some time. I tried to be patient while my doctor tried different medications. Nothing seemed to help. I experienced loss of body hair and loss of hair on my head. My skin was very dry. I was edgy, had chest pain, poor sleep, usually only 3-4 hours per night. My body was tired but my mind was awake and raring to go! It was difficult to sit still for too long without having something for my mind to focus on; i.e., a book, crossword puzzle, etc. I was aware of a lot of body pain due to other conditions I have (fibromyalgia & osteoarthritis). It seemed that I may have been more sensitive to the effects they have on my body, perhaps related to the hyperthyroidism; then again, perhaps not. I was extremely heat intolerant. I would have horrible hot flashes and sweats even though I was long past menopause. My sweats were so bad that I looked like someone had sprayed me with a hose. Water would just drip freely from my hair and face. Although I carried a washcloth with me, I didn't dare prepare food because of the risk of sweat droplets falling into the food...absolutely gross! Oddly, shortly before I received the radiation treatment, I developed a large amount of fluid retention in my legs. I also lost approximately 30 pounds during the last 2 months before radiation. I was a real mess! Thank God, I just received the radiation treatment yesterday. I'm praying that this will correct the problem. I'm so totally sick of all of this!!! I do not understand WHY my doctor waited so long to treat my hyperthyroidism??...I'm going to ask him.

Comment from: Jill, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

I have lost a total of maybe ten pounds over the past two months. I noticed palpitations and chest pressure to the point that scared me enough to go to the ER. I have been losing hair noticeably in the shower. I'm awaiting a thyroid scan and follow up with endocrinologist. Simple blood work can determine if you have hyperthyroidism.

Must Read Articles Related to Hyperthyroidism

Thyroid Facts
Thyroid FAQs The thyroid gland is part of the endocrine (hormone) system. The thyroid gland produces two hormones, thyroxine (T4) and tri-iodothyronine (T3). Diseases of the...learn more >>
Thyroid Medications
Thyroid Medications Thyroid medications treat diseases of the thyroid, including hyperthyroidism (such as Graves' disease), hypothyroidism, thyroid disorders in pregnancy, post-par...learn more >>
Thyroid Nodules
Thyroid Nodules Thyroid nodules are lumps that are either solid or fluid-filled. Thyroid nodules may be benign or malignant (cancerous). Thyroid nodules may be caused by goiter...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hyperthyroidism:

Hyperthyroidism - Experience

Please describe your experience with hyperthyroidism.

Hyperthyroidism - Treatment

What Symptoms did you experience with hyperthyroidism?