Viewer Comments: Hyponatremia - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hyponatremia (Low Sodium):

Hyponatremia - Causes

What was the cause of your hyponatremia?

Comment from: mickey, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 14

I had chronic diarrhea and nausea for 6 days which caused the hyponatremia.

Comment from: Nemesis, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 06

Sulfasalazine treatment for seronegative spondyloarthropathy caused my hyponatremia.

Comment from: Pharoah, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: January 12

My sodium dipped to 116 at which point the doctor sent me to the emergency room. He ran tests for a week checking heart, lungs and kidneys. All were fine except a scarring in the lungs probably caused by coccidioidomycosis I contracted some 30 years ago. The low sodium (hyponatremia) was probably caused by a diuretic blood pressure medicine plus excessive sweating playing golf in the summer. My sodium was back up to 136 when I left the hospital a week later. I now drink a lot of Gatorade and V8 juice to keep my sodium levels up. I am 80 years old and that probably has something to do with the low sodium levels as well. Getting old is not for sissies!

Comment from: Jules, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 03

I had a terrible cold, and couldn't breathe through my nose, or sleep. I couldn't find any decongestants at home so I started drinking more water than usual. I also habitually drank a lot of water at night because my bedroom is dry, so my tolerance of it had to have gone up, and I guess my sodium levels were also always a bit low since I don't eat a lot of boxed or restaurant food. It also goes to show that when you don't weigh that much it's very easy to drink too much water and get hyponatremia without knowing what's wrong (even though I've heard about it before in advanced placement biology, what an idiot). I felt sick to my stomach, vomited, and started shaking horrendously, which made me feel something was really wrong, so I had my parents drive me to the clinic, where I had a grand mal seizure (and bit my tongue) and was driven in an ambulance to the hospital. They ruled everything else out like tumors and liver problems, found out I had severe hyponatremia (114 mEq/L), and I spent two days in a room with a saline drip until I was coherent and able to walk. The doctor explained everything to us like we were all morons, and brought in a psychiatrist because he didn't think I could possibly do it on accident, so it indubitably turned into the most embarrassing period of my life so far. I was put on a 1200 to 1500 ml daily fluid restriction and sent home.

Comment from: Rrobert C., 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 13

I was working in dreadful heat and humidity (over a 5 year period), and had 5 separate severe night (when sleeping) seizures in the final 18 months of my contract. None of the range of specialists I saw diagnosed the underlying problem, my naturally good (low) blood pressure, being thrust to dangerously low levels after I drank lots of water and urinated a lot at night. That washed a lot of salt out of my body causing the hyponatremia induced seizures. It stopped when I stopped drinking a lot of water and started having 12 salt tablets each day.

Comment from: lisa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I drank a liter of water very quickly, which may have caused hyponatremia. I experienced dizziness and a bit of disorientation about half an hour later. This was followed by a headache. I am feeling much better, though I still have a slight headache. I am seeing my doctor in a few weeks. I wonder if I should supplement my electrolytes with a Gatorade or the equivalent.

Comment from: dobhuney, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 18

I suffered a bout of hyponatremia in November 2013. I was feeling unwell before that, tired, and a bit depressed. Then, I had an immense craving for salt. I was making popcorn in saucepan, and putting salt on it; eating vegemite (an Australian product), which contains a lot of salt. I also sprinkled salt into my hand and used that also. I was told by the hospital I would have had hyponatremia or a stroke. I remember nothing about it. I don't know if I had a seizure. I was found at home, unconscious, and revived by a friend who knew 1st aid. I'd been lying on the couch all night. He said my skin was sallow and my lips were blue; not enough oxygen and I was barely breathing. Ambulance got me to the hospital. A nurse was by my bedside for a few days. I was told I couldn't speak properly, slumped in a chair. I can't remember much about it at all. Then, one morning I sort of 'woke up', looked around and realized I was in a hospital. Things started improve, and I'm o.k. now, but extremely careful. Not sure what caused this to happen.

Must Read Articles Related to Hyponatremia (Low Sodium)

Acute Kidney Failure
Acute Kidney Failure Kidney failure, or the ability of the kidneys to filter water and waste, is caused by
  • prerenal,
  • postrenal, or
  • renal problems with the ki...
learn more >>
Kidney Disease
Chronic Kidney Disease Twenty percent of people over the age of 20 years will develop chronic kidney disease in their lifetime. Chronic learn more >>
Dehydration (Adults)
Dehydration in Adults Dehydration occurs when the loss of body fluids (mostly water), exceeds the amount that is taken in. Causes of learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hyponatremia (Low Sodium):

Hyponatremia - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your hyponatremia?

Hyponatremia - Treatment

What was the treatment for your hyponatremia?