Viewer Comments: Hypothyroidism - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hypothyroidism:

Hypothyroidism - Symptoms

For hypothyroidism, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: jerik721, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

I will be 40 in two weeks. For hypothyroidism, I had symptoms of weight gain, fuzzy thinking, severe fatigue and depression. My hair became very coarse. I also had muscle weakness, weight gain, and bloating. I went to my doctor and was given antidepressants, which made everything worse. I put on another 50 pounds in seven months. I did some research and I started to think there may be something going on with my thyroid. I went to a different doctor and I found out that my levels were in the very low “normal” range. Due to my symptoms, he put me on Synthroid right away. I have only been on it for two weeks and I feel like a totally new person. The weight is falling off. Thank goodness for a doctor who looks and listens to his patient.

Comment from: tt9, 45-54 (Patient) Published: April 09

I have had my thyroid doses switched at least 8 times a year with extreme fatigue. My thyroid is too high on one test and they put me on medicine to lower it, then with the medicine prescribed it's too low, so they put me on another dose. I have been going through this for almost 3 years, but they claim there's no reason to remove it. I am tired of being fatigue. From the very moment I wake I am exhausted, until the time I go to bed. Surely there is something they can do.

Comment from: Robbo, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 02

Thank you so much for your comments. I have only just received results that I have 'sub-clinical hypothyroidism' after badgering my dismissive GP to take blood. He tried to tell me my exhaustion was all in my mind, due to depression, etc...I told him I know the difference between normal tiredness and the tiredness I have been feeling. My GP says he can't give me medication until my thyroid carks it. I told him I need something because I'm studying full-time next semester and I don't know how I will find the energy (and motivation, etc.).

Comment from: patient 37, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I am a 37 year old female and have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I am supposed to take the medication at 50mg, but due to the fact that I don't have insurance, I can't get my medication anymore, so I have been off it for about four months. I started gaining weight around the time I started taking the medication and that upset me. Yet now that I have been not taking it, I still can't get my weight down. I don't know what to do and I am frustrated with this condition.

Comment from: Karen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

I woke up one morning and the front of my neck was quite swollen. I looked like a bull frog. My doctor tested my blood and discovered hypothyroidism. She prescribed a thyroid medication and I was fine for a couple of years until another routine blood test indicated that my thyroid medication needed adjusting. Again, I was fine for several years. However, after a recent yearly physical, my doctor said that I now have hyperthyroidism. I still have to take the thyroid medication, but in a lower dose. The "moral" of this story is that if one has thyroid problems, blood tests need to be done several times per year.

Comment from: shady, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I went to the specialist and he has diagnosed me with hypothyroidism, as well as having nodules which are causing interference with my pituitary gland and my thyroid. To make a long story short, I have been waiting for surgery to have the nodule removed, and have been bumped now three times plus. I am getting totally frustrated, and feel terrible. I just want my body back. I am going to see the specialist again tomorrow, and he is going to reassess me.

Comment from: patro, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 04

My doctor lowered the dose of a medication I had been on for 20 years and I started to feel awful. In the evening, my heart would pound like a drum, I couldn't sleep, I began to gain weight and lose energy. I had strange episodes of feeling like my body was shutting down. My doctor wouldn't listen and kept my dose at 125mg. I found another doctor who listened to me and raised it back to 150mg, and I feel good and normal again.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

I was diagnosed with Hypothryoidism right after the birth of my son - 15 years ago. I did not experience the weight gain, but I was extremely tired, my skin became very dry and I had noticed my face seemed puffy. My hands would also fall asleep if I sat in one position for very long. I saw an internist who ran blood work and diagnosed me with low thyroid. I was put on medication and have been taking it now for over 15 years. I've been on the same dose most of that time, until about two years ago when my hormone levels became erratic. Since then my dose has been increased and decreased several times. My doctor checks my hormone levels every 3 months now and is trying to regulate my levels, but it's been difficult. I was also diagnosed with depression one year ago, but I feel I was depressed for at least a year before that. I don't know if this is related to my hypothyroidism, but I'm on a higher dose of my medication, and I am feeling better overall.

Must Read Articles Related to Hypothyroidism

Anatomy of the Endocrine System
Anatomy of the Endocrine System The endocrine system is made up of glands that produce and secrete hormones. The glands that make up the endocrine system include the hypothalamus, pituitary, t...learn more >>
Hashimoto's Disease
Hashimoto's Disease Hashimoto's disease (also referred to as Hashimoto's thyroiditis, chronic autoimmune thyroiditis, or chronic lymphocytic thyroiditis) is a disease affecting the...learn more >>
Myxedema Coma
Myxedema Coma The thyroid gland, located at the front part of the neck, is responsible for making substances called thyroid hormones that are important for all body cells to ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hypothyroidism:

Hypothyroidism - Treatments

What was the treatment for your hypothyroidism?