Viewer Comments: Hypothyroidism - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hypothyroidism:

Hypothyroidism - Symptoms

For hypothyroidism, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: Wanda, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 25

my first symptom before diagnosis was depression, then quickly followed with weight gain, lethargy, loss in appetite, constipation, decreased respirations, and increase in blood pressure, and finally fibromyalgia. I had more extensive testing and found out I had Hashimoto's hypothyroidism. I was soooo happy to find this out as I was becoming a hypochondriac in my family's eyes! Medication and monitoring and POW ... I felt 16 again instead of 35!

Comment from: Carolanne, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 14

I've had hypothyroidism since birth and I take 175mg of levothyroxine daily. I've got most of the symptoms that are listed. I get my blood tested every six months or so it always comes back fine! But I'm always tired. I've got horse hair its now getting thinner! I can't concentrate on anything as I just can't be bothered. I've got dry skin and I get palpitations. My weight yo-yos up and down from a size 8 to a size 14. I've got a terrible memory, but then again, I do have weeks on end when I feel like a normal person.

Comment from: Lynn, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

Fatigue, muscle weakness, muscle aches, racing heart beat, shortness of breath, dry skin, hair loss, puffy face/eyes, heavy and painful periods with ovarian cysts, unexplained weight gain, difficulty losing weight, nausea, high cholesterol, dizziness/ faintness, excessive thirst, frequent urination, sometimes headaches, etc.

Comment from: Sleepy head, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 09

I was very tired during the day, irritable, unable to concentrate. My hair at the front became thinner. My Hypothyroidism led on to sleep apnoea. I was made to feel better by thyroxine tablets, but not altogether and was referred to a sleep clinic. I have an air pressure machine to sleep with, and thyroxine and I feel fabulous now! I have my life back.

Comment from: Chwaer ei chwaer, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

My Doctor put me on Levothyroxine 75mg (daily) in May of this year after telling me I had Hypothyroidism. Three weeks later I thought I was dying, rapid pulse, elevated B/P and chest pains etc. My dose was reduced to 25 micrograms a day, for the last 4 weeks I have been feeling really bad again, elevated B/P and fast pulse, loud heartbeats in my head. It is a horrible way to feel, I returned to my doctor yesterday and she wants me to return in a month for a blood tests to check my TSH levels again. I feel so poorly that I have thrown my tablets in the bin. For the last 2 weeks I had been taking my tablet on alternate days to see if it helped, but I didn't tell the doctor that I am a 45 years old female with a young son, I hate being like this and don't know what to do.

Must Read Articles Related to Hypothyroidism

Anatomy of the Endocrine System
Anatomy of the Endocrine System The endocrine system is made up of glands that produce and secrete hormones. The glands that make up the endocrine system include the hypothalamus, pituitary, t...learn more >>
Hashimoto's Disease
Hashimoto's Disease Hashimoto's disease (also referred to as Hashimoto's thyroiditis, chronic autoimmune thyroiditis, or chronic lymphocytic thyroiditis) is a disease affecting the...learn more >>
Myxedema Coma
Myxedema Coma The thyroid gland, located at the front part of the neck, is responsible for making substances called thyroid hormones that are important for all body cells to ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hypothyroidism:

Hypothyroidism - Treatments

What was the treatment for your hypothyroidism?