Viewer Comments: Hypothyroidism - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hypothyroidism:

Hypothyroidism - Symptoms

For hypothyroidism, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

With my hypothyroidism, I pretty much experienced the fatigue, lack of appetite, weight gain, and some confusion at times. I kept asking my doctor to check my thyroid hormones, since there is a family history. Unfortunately, if you come back in the normal range, which is quite large, they tell you you're normal. I found out I was coming back in the very low normal range, and I evidently was more toward the high normal range when I was feeling great. I was lucky and found an internist who was willing to listen and go back to previous tests to see that I was in fact having a problem. Now taking Armour Thyroid, and feel great! Moral of the story, if you feel like it's not right, it probably isn't. Find a doctor who will listen!

I have experienced many symptoms for a number of years. In fact, I was treated for depression instead of hypothyroidism for several years. At times, I thought I was "losing my mind" it was so severe. My symptoms included: confusion, inability to think clearly, total lack of energy, exhaustion, loss of interest in "everything," aches and pains (mainly in my legs/ankles/feet), and gained 35 pounds despite a lack of appetite. This has been a long struggle for me with problems at home and work (to be expected when I cannot think clearly). However, things are improving now -- there is hope!

Comment from: Vicki, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I have had symptoms most of my life, infertility, depression, always cold, but less than a month ago I ended up in the emergency room. While walking a short distance to my car in winter, I became very cold, had a migraine, threw up several times and eventually had to call 911 on my way home. They could not find a temp or BP. I couldn't breathe very well. After warming me up for over an hour, my temp. was 95. I had been telling my doctor about my problems, she put me on Synthroid, evidently it didn't work. I told her I thought it was getting worse, not better. I saw her less than two months before this incident with that very complaint. At the hospital I was diagnosed with Hashimoto Thyroiditis - acquired hypothyroidism. My psychiatrist put me on Armour Thyroid and after three days my migraine finally went away. I am still exhausted, can't get out of bed for more than a few hours, temp yesterday was 97. I see my GP on Friday; I am going to give her a piece of my mind!

Comment from: Debbie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

I'm 41 and have been getting treated for hypothyroidism for two years. I asked my doctor to retest me for thyroidism due to the steady increase in my weight in spite of increased activity and my daily need for a nap around 3 or 4pm. Once I had my blood work done prior to 8 am, suddenly my results showed hypothyroidism. My medication has been changed from Armour to Synthroid and my weight has continued to rise. I'm the only one walking around at work without a jacket on because I seldom feel the cold. I am still battling depression and fuzzy thinking. And it seems my blood is sluggish no matter my fluid intake when I go in early for blood workups, I have low blood pressure and lack of hydration according to the nurse.

Comment from: Mustang Mamma, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism seven months after my third child was born. I was losing my baby weight really quickly, then suddenly I started gaining weight as fast as I had lost it. I read in a thyroid book that that sometimes happens after you've had a baby -- it's as if you have a burst of hyperthyroidism and then it goes to hypothyroidism and that sometimes it goes back to normal --mine didn't. I was tired, couldn't get off the couch, and thought I had post-partum depression. I started having heart palpitations, for which I decided to go to the doctor. He tested my TSH and found my levels very high. That was seven years ago, and now I can tell when my levels are out of normal range and need to be rechecked. I have no energy and start to feel depressed again, losing interest in everything. I even start to feel that way when I am on the high side of normal “ low-to-normal range is best for me. I've heard Armour Thyroid helps with the brain fuzz and to help lose weight, and I plan on asking my doctor about it at my next checkup. I have never lost the weight on Synthroid and, in fact, have continued to gain.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I have been treated for hypothyroidism now for several years. I was first treated with Synthroid for a couple of years and had almost no help from it; I actually felt better when I went off of it. The doctor had a fit so he set me up with an endocrinologist who agreed to give me the old-time treatment of Armour Thyroid, which took care of the major symptoms, pretty quickly. I would recommend it as this is inherited from my father's side of the family. I have only had to have the Armour mg raised once in 10 years.

Must Read Articles Related to Hypothyroidism

Anatomy of the Endocrine System
Anatomy of the Endocrine System The endocrine system is made up of glands that produce and secrete hormones. The glands that make up the endocrine system include the hypothalamus, pituitary, t...learn more >>
Hashimoto's Disease
Hashimoto's Disease Hashimoto's disease (also referred to as Hashimoto's thyroiditis, chronic autoimmune thyroiditis, or chronic lymphocytic thyroiditis) is a disease affecting the...learn more >>
Myxedema Coma
Myxedema Coma The thyroid gland, located at the front part of the neck, is responsible for making substances called thyroid hormones that are important for all body cells to ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hypothyroidism:

Hypothyroidism - Treatments

What was the treatment for your hypothyroidism?