Image Collection: Medical Illustrations
- All (561)
- Allergic Skin Disorders (31)
- Bites and Infestations (27)
- Medical Illustrations (101)
- Oral Health (22)
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions (47)
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs) (12)
- Eye Diseases and Conditions (19)
- Pregnancy and Fetal Development (9)
- Bacterial Skin Infections (29)
- Noncancerous, Precancerous and Cancerous Tumors (56)
- Viral Skin Diseases (26)
- Diseases of Pigment (27)
- Fungal Skin Infections (17)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions (48)
- Scalp, Hair and Nails (26)
- Treatment and Procedures (18)
- Brain Disorders (7)
52. Picture of Appendix 1
The appendix is a four-inch, tube-like pouch attached to the first part of the large intestine. The exact function of the appendix is unknown. It may aid the immune system, facilitate the movement and removal of digestive waste, and potentially produce an early defense against deadly disease. It may also act as a reservoir for beneficial gut flora to repopulate the gut after gastrointestinal illness. The appendix lies in the lower right part of the abdomen.
Text Reference: National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases "Appendicitis"
Guide to understanding the Image Gallery categories:
Digestive Disorders Resources
- Tummy Troubles a Sign of Uveitis?
- What is Castleman Disease?
- Your Treatment Options for Constipation