Image Collection: Bites and Infestations
- All (559)
- Allergic Skin Disorders (31)
- Viral Skin Diseases (26)
- Bacterial Skin Diseases (29)
- Fungal Skin Diseases (17)
- Bites and Infestations (27)
- Noncancerous, Precancerous and Cancerous Tumors (56)
- Diseases of Pigment (26)
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions (47)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions (48)
- Scalp, Hair and Nails (26)
- Pregnancy Stages (9)
12. Picture of Black Widow Spider Bites
The black widow spider produces a protein venom that affects the victim's nervous system. Some people are slightly affected by the venom, but others may have a severe response. The first symptom is acute pain at the site of the bite though there may only be a minimal local reaction.
The local pain may be followed by localized or generalized severe muscle cramps, abdominal pain, weakness, and tremor. In severe cases, nausea, vomiting, faintness, dizziness, chest pain, and respiratory difficulties may follow.
The severity of the reaction can depend on the age and physical condition of the person bitten. Children and the elderly are more seriously affected than young adults. Read more about the symptoms and treatments for black widow spider bites.
Text: "Black Widow Spider Bite", Medical Reference from eMedicineHealth
Guide to understanding the Image Gallery categories: