Image Collection: Additional Conditions
- All (559)
- Allergic Skin Disorders (31)
- Viral Skin Diseases (26)
- Bacterial Skin Diseases (29)
- Fungal Skin Diseases (17)
- Bites and Infestations (27)
- Noncancerous, Precancerous and Cancerous Tumors (56)
- Diseases of Pigment (26)
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions (47)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions (48)
- Scalp, Hair and Nails (26)
- Pregnancy Stages (9)
11. Picture of Bunion
A bunion is a swelling of the joint that connects the big toe to the foot. Bone grows on the side of the toe, creating misalignment of the toe. Inflammation may be present. Bunions may be associated with other types of inflammation like bursitis or osteoarthritis.
Bunions affect women more than men, often thanks to wearing ill-fitting shoes. High heels and shoes that are too narrow in the toe area create the perfect conditions for developing bunions.
Bunions are treated by switching to footwear that fits and doesn't crowd toes. Medications can help relieve pain. In severe cases, surgery may be necessary.
Text Reference: American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons: “Bunions”
Guide to understanding the Image Gallery categories:
Skin Problems and Treatments Resources
- Early Care for Your Premature Baby
- What to Eat When You Have Cancer
- When to Take More Pain Medication