Image Collection: Additional Conditions
- All (559)
- Allergic Skin Disorders (31)
- Viral Skin Diseases (26)
- Bacterial Skin Diseases (29)
- Fungal Skin Diseases (17)
- Bites and Infestations (27)
- Noncancerous, Precancerous and Cancerous Tumors (56)
- Diseases of Pigment (26)
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions (47)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions (48)
- Scalp, Hair and Nails (26)
- Pregnancy Stages (9)
38. Picture of Diverticulitis
Diverticula can be seen via barium x-ray (barium enema). The diverticula are seen as barium filled pouches protruding from the colon wall. Direct visualization of the colon can be achieved through flexible sigmoidoscopy or colonoscopy. In patients suspected of having a diverticular abscess causing persistent pain and fever, ultrasound and CT scan of the abdomen and pelvis can be done to detect collections of pus.
Slideshow: Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) Pictures
Image Source: Image reprinted with permission from eMedicine.com, 2008.
Text: MedicineNet - Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis)
Guide to understanding the Image Gallery categories:
Digestive Disorders Resources
- Are Antidiarrheals Safe for IBS?
- Is It Okay to Take a Stool Softener Every Day?
- Can Apple Cider Vinegar Help Digestion?