Image Collection: Additional Conditions
- All (559)
- Allergic Skin Disorders (31)
- Viral Skin Diseases (26)
- Bacterial Skin Diseases (29)
- Fungal Skin Diseases (17)
- Bites and Infestations (27)
- Noncancerous, Precancerous and Cancerous Tumors (56)
- Diseases of Pigment (26)
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions (47)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions (48)
- Scalp, Hair and Nails (26)
- Pregnancy Stages (9)
38. Picture of Diverticulitis
Diverticula are pouches that protrude beyond the colon wall due to areas of muscle weakness. Diverticula can be visualized on a barium x-ray, which is an x-ray that is taken after the administration of a barium enema. Problem areas in the colon can be further examined with the help of colonoscopy or flexible sigmoidoscopy. If an infection or abscess in the colon is suspected, a doctor can order an abdominal CT scan or an ultrasound to visualize the area.
Text Reference: "Diverticular Disease." National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases.
Guide to understanding the Image Gallery categories:
Digestive Disorders Resources
- Is It Okay to Take a Stool Softener Every Day?
- 9 Questions to Ask Before Having Surgery
- Creating a Crohn's Disease Diet Plan