Image Collection: Medical Illustrations
- All (559)
- Allergic Skin Disorders (31)
- Bites and Infestations (27)
- Medical Illustrations (101)
- Oral Health (22)
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions (47)
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs) (12)
- Eye Diseases and Conditions (19)
- Pregnancy and Fetal Development (9)
- Bacterial Skin Infections (29)
- Noncancerous, Precancerous and Cancerous Tumors (56)
- Viral Skin Diseases (26)
- Diseases of Pigment (26)
- Fungal Skin Infections (17)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions (48)
- Scalp, Hair and Nails (26)
- Treatment and Procedures (18)
- Brain Disorders (7)
77. Picture of Fibromyalgia
Fibromyalgia is a condition that causes muscle pain, fatigue, stiffness, and joint and tendon discomfort. Fibromyalgia is considered an arthritis-related condition, although there is no detectable inflammation. Women suffer from fibromyalgia in greater numbers than men. The disorder can make it difficult to impossible to carry out everyday activities. Conditions including headaches, sleep difficulties, restless legs syndrome (RLS), mood disturbances, and more occur with increased frequency in those with fibromyalgia.
The cause of fibromyalgia is unknown. Stress, injury, or illness may precede the onset of fibromyalgia. Genes involved in the processing of pain stimuli may be involved. Fibromyalgia is considered chronic, but it often goes through periods when it is worse and then better. Eating a healthy diet, managing stress, and exercising can help manage symptoms. Analgesics may help relieve pain. Massage, acupuncture, chiropractic adjustments, and other complementary and alternative therapies are not proven, but many people with fibromyalgia report getting relief from using these treatments.
Text Reference: "Questions and Answers about Fibromyalgia." National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases.
Guide to understanding the Image Gallery categories: