Image Collection: Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
- All (559)
- Allergic Skin Disorders (31)
- Viral Skin Diseases (26)
- Bacterial Skin Diseases (29)
- Fungal Skin Diseases (17)
- Bites and Infestations (27)
- Noncancerous, Precancerous and Cancerous Tumors (56)
- Diseases of Pigment (26)
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions (47)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions (48)
- Scalp, Hair and Nails (26)
- Pregnancy Stages (9)
1. Picture of Genital Warts (HPV)
Wart, genital: A wart that is confined primarily to the moist skin of the genitals. These warts are due to viruses belonging to the family of human papilloma viruses (HPVs) which are transmitted through sexual contact. The virus can also be transmitted from mother to baby during childbirth.
Most people infected with HPV have no symptoms but these viruses increase a woman's risk for cancer of the cervix. HPV infection is the most common sexually transmitted disease in the United States. It is also the leading cause of abnormal PAP smears and pre-cancerous changes of the cervix in women.
Facts About Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Text: MedTerms™ Medical Dictionary by MedicineNet, Inc.
Guide to understanding the Image Gallery categories: