Image Collection: Medical Anatomy and Illustrations
- All (559)
- Allergic Skin Disorders (31)
- Viral Skin Diseases (26)
- Bacterial Skin Diseases (29)
- Fungal Skin Diseases (17)
- Bites and Infestations (27)
- Noncancerous, Precancerous and Cancerous Tumors (56)
- Diseases of Pigment (26)
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions (47)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions (48)
- Scalp, Hair and Nails (26)
- Pregnancy Stages (9)
47. Picture of Hemorrhoid
Hemorrhoids are distended veins inside the rectum and around the anus. Hemorrhoids may be caused by straining during bowel movements, obesity, pregnancy, and other conditions. Hemorrhoid symptoms may include seeing blood in the toilet or on toilet paper, pain, swelling, and itching. Hemorrhoids are very common, affecting about half of the population aged 50 and older. Increasing fiber consumption and maintaining good hydration are advised for people with hemorrhoids. Treatment may include sitz baths, topical medications, and surgery or laser removal in severe cases.
Text Reference: "Living with Hemorrhoids." American Gastroenterological Association.
Guide to understanding the Image Gallery categories:
- Should You Have Surgery?
- Understand Your Treatment Options for Constipation
- How to Save Money on Health Care
- Early Care for Your Premature Baby
- What to Eat When You Have Cancer
- When to Take More Pain Medication