Image Collection: Medical Illustrations
- All (559)
- Allergic Skin Disorders (31)
- Bites and Infestations (27)
- Medical Illustrations (101)
- Oral Health (22)
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions (47)
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs) (12)
- Eye Diseases and Conditions (19)
- Pregnancy and Fetal Development (9)
- Bacterial Skin Infections (29)
- Noncancerous, Precancerous and Cancerous Tumors (56)
- Viral Skin Diseases (26)
- Diseases of Pigment (26)
- Fungal Skin Infections (17)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions (48)
- Scalp, Hair and Nails (26)
- Treatment and Procedures (18)
- Brain Disorders (7)
101. Picture of Infectious Mononucleosis
Infectious mononucleosis, or "mono," is a viral illness that most commonly occurs due to the Epstein Barr virus (EBV). The vast majority of people have evidence of prior EBV infection by the time they reach adulthood. The illness is less severe in young children. Teens and young adults may become very sick with mono and experience fever, swollen lymph nodes, sore throat, weakness, night sweats, loss of appetite, and severe fatigue. The illness may cause inflammation of the liver (hepatitis) and spleen enlargement. Mono is associated with an increased risk of spleen rupture, so it is advised to avoid contact sports until one is recovered. Mono is also known as the "kissing disease" because it is easily spread by saliva.
Text Reference: "Mononucleosis." Family Doctor.
Guide to understanding the Image Gallery categories:
Cold and Flu Resources
- 13 Immune System Boosters
- Are We Close to a Cure for Cancer?
- Is It a Sore Throat, Strep or Tonsillitis?