Image Collection: Additional Conditions
- All (561)
- Allergic Skin Disorders (31)
- Bites and Infestations (27)
- Medical Illustrations (101)
- Oral Health (22)
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions (47)
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs) (12)
- Eye Diseases and Conditions (19)
- Pregnancy and Fetal Development (9)
- Bacterial Skin Infections (29)
- Noncancerous, Precancerous and Cancerous Tumors (56)
- Viral Skin Diseases (26)
- Diseases of Pigment (27)
- Fungal Skin Infections (17)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions (48)
- Scalp, Hair and Nails (26)
- Treatment and Procedures (18)
- Brain Disorders (7)
28. Picture of Kidney Stone Crystal
Kidney stones are hard, sometimes jagged crystals made up of different solids that form in the kidneys. Kidney stones may be made of calcium, oxalate, phosphate, or other substances. Small stones may travel easily down the ureter and be expelled by the body in the urine. Larger stones may block the flow of urine and cause severe pain. Pain associated with kidney stones is often felt in the abdomen, groin, or the flank area. About 5% of people develop a kidney stone at some point in life.
Text Reference: "Kidney Stones." National Kidney Foundation.
Guide to understanding the Image Gallery categories:
- The Truth About Kidney Donation
- What Are Urinary Tract Infections?
- Are We Close to a Cure for Cancer?