Image Collection: Medical Illustrations
- All (561)
- Allergic Skin Disorders (31)
- Bites and Infestations (27)
- Medical Illustrations (101)
- Oral Health (22)
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions (47)
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs) (12)
- Eye Diseases and Conditions (19)
- Pregnancy and Fetal Development (9)
- Bacterial Skin Infections (29)
- Noncancerous, Precancerous and Cancerous Tumors (56)
- Viral Skin Diseases (26)
- Diseases of Pigment (27)
- Fungal Skin Infections (17)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions (48)
- Scalp, Hair and Nails (26)
- Treatment and Procedures (18)
- Brain Disorders (7)
51. Picture of Liver
The liver is the large organ that is located in the upper part of the right abdomen. The liver is made up of two lobes. The main function of the liver is to filter the blood and detoxify chemicals and medications. It also serves as a storage site for extra energy in the form of glycogen and produces substances important for blood clotting. The liver produces bile, a fatty substance that is necessary for the digestion of fats. Bile is stored in the gallbladder, which lies just under the liver.
Text Reference: "Liver Anatomy." Surgical Clinics of North America.
Guide to understanding the Image Gallery categories:
Digestive Disorders Resources
- Tummy Troubles a Sign of Uveitis?
- What is Castleman Disease?
- Your Treatment Options for Constipation