Image Collection: Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
- All (561)
- Allergic Skin Disorders (31)
- Bites and Infestations (27)
- Medical Illustrations (101)
- Oral Health (22)
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions (47)
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs) (12)
- Eye Diseases and Conditions (19)
- Pregnancy and Fetal Development (9)
- Bacterial Skin Infections (29)
- Noncancerous, Precancerous and Cancerous Tumors (56)
- Viral Skin Diseases (26)
- Diseases of Pigment (27)
- Fungal Skin Infections (17)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions (48)
- Scalp, Hair and Nails (26)
- Treatment and Procedures (18)
- Brain Disorders (7)
4. Picture of Syphilis
Syphilis is a highly contagious sexually-transmitted disease (STD) caused by the Treponema pallidum bacteria. Untreated syphilis can cause neurological problems, blindness, and other long-term complications. Syphilis symptoms vary widely and often resemble symptoms of other diseases, earning syphilis the nickname “the great imitator.” Syphilis starts as a painless bump similar to an ingrown hair that develops into a rash that does not itch. The syphilis rash may show up on the palms of hands and soles of feet and spread across the body. Syphilis treatment can cure the disease with certain antibiotics. Syphilis treatment cannot however, heal irreversible damage caused by the infection.
Text References: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: "Syphilis – CDC Fact Sheet (Detailed)"
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: "Syphilis – CDC Fact Sheet"
Guide to understanding the Image Gallery categories: