Image Collection: Medical Illustrations
- All (559)
- Allergic Skin Disorders (31)
- Bites and Infestations (27)
- Medical Illustrations (101)
- Oral Health (22)
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions (47)
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs) (12)
- Eye Diseases and Conditions (19)
- Pregnancy and Fetal Development (9)
- Bacterial Skin Infections (29)
- Noncancerous, Precancerous and Cancerous Tumors (56)
- Viral Skin Diseases (26)
- Diseases of Pigment (26)
- Fungal Skin Infections (17)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions (48)
- Scalp, Hair and Nails (26)
- Treatment and Procedures (18)
- Brain Disorders (7)
40. Picture of Varicella (Chickenpox) Virus
Varicella (chickenpox): A highly infectious viral disease, known familiarly as chickenpox. (In many countries, this disease is always called "varicella.")
Chickenpox has nothing at all to do with chicken. The name was meant to distinguish this "weak" form of the pox from smallpox. "Chicken" is used here, as in "chickenhearted," to mean weak or timid. The "pox" of chickenpox is no major matter unless it becomes infected (through scratching) or occurs in an immunodeficient person.
However, there can be very major problems from chickenpox including pneumonia and encephalitis and reactivation of the same herpes virus is responsible for shingles (zoster). Chickenpox is responsible for more deaths than measles (rubeola), mumps, whooping cough (pertussis) and H. flu (Haemophilus influenzae type B) meningitis combined. Contrary to what many people believe, chickenpox is by no means a mild disease.
The current aim in the U.S. is to achieve universal (or come as close as possible to universal) immunization of children with the chickenpox vaccine. The rationale for childhood chickenpox vaccination is not just to protect the children but also to protect everyone with whom they come in contact, including adults (who can die from the chickenpox) and pregnant women (so that the unborn baby does not get chickenpox).
Text: MedicineNet, Inc.
Guide to understanding the Image Gallery categories: