Self-Care at Home
- Clean all sores and bites with antibacterial soap and water. Don't scratch or pick.
- The infection is contagious. Use separate washcloths,
razors, and hand towels.
- Often, the rash and infection will go away on its own, but antibiotics are usually needed to get rid of the infection.
- Apply antibacterial ointment, but wash hands well after applying it.
- If the sores are in areas that are shaved (men on their face; women on their
legs), shave around the sores to avoid spreading the infection further.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 7/22/2014
Must Read Articles Related to Impetigo
Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus is an infection that shows resistance to many antibiotics. Symptoms and signs include pus production and itching in ...learn more >>
Skin Rashes in Children
Skin rashes in children may be categorized as bacterial, viral, life-threatening, fungal, and parasitic rashes. Oftentimes, the associated symptoms help establi...learn more >>
Staphylococcus is a type of bacteria that causes infection (often called a "Staph infection"). Staphylococcus can cause infections in almost any organ system in...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Impetigo: