Self-Care at Home
- Clean all sores and bites with antibacterial soap and water. Don't scratch or pick.
- The infection is contagious. Other people may contract the infection if you come in contact with them. Use separate washcloths and hand towels.
- Often, the rash and infection will go away on its own, but antibiotics are usually needed to get rid of the infection.
- You may apply antibacterial ointment, but wash your hands well after applying it.
- If the sores are in areas you shave (men on their face; women on their legs), shave around the sores so you won't spread the infection further.
Must Read Articles Related to Impetigo
Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus is an infection that shows resistance to many antibiotics. Symptoms and signs include pus production and itching in ...learn more >>
Skin Rashes in Children
Skin rashes in children may be categorized as bacterial, viral, life-threatening, fungal, and parasitic rashes. Oftentimes, the associated symptoms help establi...learn more >>
Staphylococcus is a type of bacteria that cause infection (often called a "Staph infection"). It can affect any organ. Staphylococcus can cause infections in al...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Impetigo: