Viewer Comments: Impetigo - Length Symptoms Lasted

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Impetigo:

Impetigo - Length Symptoms Lasted

How long did the symptoms of your impetigo last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?

Comment from: Anjanette, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 21

This article about impetigo is very good. I'm a nurse and concerned about the mold problem in one of our low income housing buildings. It's so bad that it's throughout the apartments. It grows on the furniture; black mold behind the stove; mildew/mold (white) on the carpets in the living room and infants' bedrooms. The families do their best to keep it clean, however, the particles are still in the fibers of the carpets. An infant got impetigo on her face (I have never seen a rash like this before). The family stated the doctor said it could have been caused from the mold in the carpet...she (the infant) is learning to crawl and rubs her face on carpet. I'm going to the health department tomorrow with pictures I took of the mold to report the environment that housing will not correct.

My 13 year old daughter had a rash for over a month surrounding her nose/nostrils. I initially thought was a mild case of acne and tried every acne product known to man to cure it, before I finally decided it was time to take her to the doctor/dermatologist. When I told her father of my intentions, he revealed that his step-daughter had had impetigo just a few weeks before our daughters symptoms appeared. Upon hearing this, my son said he also had a rash, but on his neck. We immediately began treating with triple antibiotic, within a few days, the rash was gone and her skin was beginning to heal beautifully.

Comment from: Jim, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 27

I'm 36 and never had impetigo before. I cut myself shaving near the corner of my mouth, and I believe this is how the bacteria entered. Unfortunately, my symptoms flared up on a trip from the United States to Cancun, and I didn't have access to a doctor. I tried treating by washing and applying Neosporin. At first, it seemed to help, but then it got worse. Upon returning to the United States, I got Bactroban cream, and it is clearing up after only three days. My doctor let me know I aggravated the condition by forming an allergic reaction to over-use of Neosporin, which was the first time I knew one could develop an allergy. From now on, I think I'll travel with over-the-counter triple antibiotic cream, just in case something like this happens in the future.

Comment from: mummy, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 02

My son now is still having impetigo on his feet and hands although he completed several types of antibiotics and anti-fungal medications prescribed by the doctor during his admission in the hospital for seven days. I am so confused and stressed since he can't walk due to his pain and his skin condition is starting to worsen and get smelly.

Comment from: bethC, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 01

I am 40 and my impetigo started with one sore. I think I might have caught something from one of my friends. Then spread to my face, leg and now chest. I have been using a prescription antibiotic ointment, but it's been 3 months and it just keeps spreading. I am trying juicing and hoping to detox.

Comment from: hody, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 28

In response to the comment about the son who has been trying to get rid of his impetigo for three years, I have had great success with GSE- (Grapefruit Seed Extract)It comes in a spray form or a thick liquid form. It is a natural antibiotic and was the only thing I tried that actually got rid of my daughter's impetigo.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 08

This article has been very helpful. I had a cracked lip which I thought turned into a cold sore and used Zovirax for a week but it kept getting bigger and spreading and huge blisters formed. I thought the Zovirax had burnt my mouth but after a week of agony, after it spread all over my mouth and chin, I went to the hospital where they diagnosed impetigo or staph. I'm on antibiotics which, I hope will clear it up as the pus runs everywhere and don't want this spreading to my 2 babies.

Comment from: marlene, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 15

My daughter had been outside playing around cut wood and trees on a Sunday. The next morning we saw a rash on her chin, by the time she got home from school, it was bigger. Thank god she always asks for Band-Aids. I put ointment and a bandage on it. But still it got bigger like a ring worm. I took her to immediate care and impetigo was a word I never heard of. They gave her 3 days antibiotics (azithromycin) and antibiotic ointment. It has crusted peeled and more bumps appeared, but only on her chin.

Related Reading: azithromycin

Must Read Articles Related to Impetigo

MRSA
MRSA Infection Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus is an infection that shows resistance to many antibiotics. Symptoms and signs include pus production and itching in ...learn more >>
Skin Rashes in Children
Skin Rashes in Children Skin rashes in children may be categorized as bacterial, viral, life-threatening, fungal, and parasitic rashes. Oftentimes, the associated symptoms help establi...learn more >>
Staph Infection
Staphylococcus Staphylococcus is a type of bacteria that cause infection (often called a "Staph infection"). It can affect any organ. Staphylococcus can cause infections in al...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Impetigo:

Impetigo - Treatment

What symptoms did you experience with impetigo?