In Vitro Fertilization (cont.)
IN THIS ARTICLE
After Embryo Transfer
This is known as the luteal phase of the cycle, and the woman is given the hormone progesterone, either as injections or vaginal suppositories. Sometimes progesterone in both forms may be given. She is given the progesterone for the next 2 weeks. A pregnancy test is scheduled for two weeks following the embryo transfer. If implantation is successful (the egg or eggs attach to the uterine wall and grow), the pregnancy test result is positive.
Must Read Articles Related to In Vitro Fertilization
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about In Vitro Fertilization (IVF):
In Vitro Fertilization - Experience
Please describe your experience with in vitro fertilization.
- What to Know Before You Get Pregnant
- 10 Tips to Soothe a Crying Baby
- Pregnancy: What Does Insurance Cover?
- Symptoms of a Severe Allergic Reaction
- Breast Cancer Treatment Options
- Is Your Body Ready for Pregnancy?