Viewer Comments: Inability to Urinate - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Inability to Urinate:

Inability to Urinate - Causes

What was causing your inability to urinate?

Comment from: millief, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: December 09

I have the inability to urinate at night, and incontinence during day. I had a laminectomy L4-L5 recently and before surgery I had retention problems. I'm getting test done on my urethra this week.

Comment from: 65-74 Male Published: April 09

When I drink alcohol, I find it difficult to urinate.

Comment from: v, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I had a surgery to remove my thyroid and about two weeks later my bladder shut down. I had urges but I was unable to urine for three to four days and was having hallucinations.

Related Reading: thyroid

Comment from: Benji, 65-74 Female Published: February 21

I am a female who had cancer of the urethra several years ago. I had one time where I could not urinate and was doubled over with pain. I had immediate relief from pain after a catheter was inserted at the ER.

Comment from: colmert, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 30

I suffered for many years from a condition medically known as paruresis and more commonly known as Shy Bladder Syndrome. A type of social anxiety disorder, it means the difficulty in urinating in the presence of other people, such as in public restrooms. Often the only environment in which we can successfully urinate is in our own homes and when no one else is around. Often the "cause" is a deep fear that others will scrutinize us - judge us negatively if we take too long, make too much noise, etc. when we use a public facility. Many people with this condition rely on self-catheterization as a foolproof way of relieving themselves. Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy has been found to be the most effective treatment method for me.

Comment from: please help, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 15

I was on medication for back pain for three days and went into acute urinary retention. I went to the E.R. and had a catheter put in. I have BPH, but never had a problem urinating. I am wondering if I will need surgery or will I be able to urinate when the catheter is removed. It was in for three weeks and they had to put in back in. It has been in for another three weeks and I go back to the urologist next week.

Comment from: anthony, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: June 28

I am having trouble urinating because of benign prostate enlargement.

Comment from: fiore, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: June 16

I never had a problem urinating, but had abdominal surgery and a Foley catheter was inserted for 4 days. After the catheter was removed, I had urinary retention.

Comment from: Female (Patient) Published: April 04

I was recently diagnosed with herpes and my urine flow started to get thin. There is no infection, no burning, and my urine is clear. But now, I'm having trouble moving bowels as well.

Comment from: Dianamae, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 15

I had surgery for incontinence (rectocele, cystocele, and bladder taping). I still leaked after all this, and the doctor said my urethra sphincter was worn out. He did a procedure of injecting my urethra to bulk it up. I have not been able to empty my bladder since on my own. I had to go to the emergency room and have a catheter inserted. Next day, I went to the doctor who drained my bladder and inserted fluid. I was unable to empty my bladder. I just dribbled a few drops, but she said it would improve if I went home without the catheter. That was 2 days ago and I still cannot urinate. I just dribble a few drops, but I feel the need to urinate all the time.

Must Read Articles Related to Inability to Urinate

Dysuria
Dysuria Dysuria is the sensation of pain during urination and may be caused by a std or infection of the bladder, kidney, urethra, or prostate. A urinalysis will be per...learn more >>
Enlarged Prostate
Enlarged Prostate A man's prostate gland usually starts to enlarge after he reaches age 40 years or middle age. This condition is called benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). The p...learn more >>
Fever (in Adults)
Fever in Adults A fever is a body temperature of 100.4 F or greater. A fever may be caused by a virus, bacteria, fungus, blood clot, tumor, drug, or the environment. Treatment ...learn more >>