What are Infant Milestones?
- Babies grow at an amazingly fast rate during their first year of life. In addition to babies' physical growth in height and weight, babies also go through major achievement stages, referred to as developmental milestones.
- Developmental milestones are easily identifiable skills that the baby can perform, such as rolling over, sitting up, and walking.
- These milestones are usually classified into three categories:
- motor development,
- language development, and
- social/emotional development.
- Babies tend to follow the same progression through these milestones; however, no two babies go through these milestones at exactly the same time.
- Babies also spend different amounts of time at each stage before moving on to the next stage.
- Contact a health-care professional with any concerns about a baby's development.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 12/1/2015
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Infant Milestones: