Viewer Comments: Inflammatory Bowel Disease - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD):

Inflammatory Bowel Disease - Symptoms

What symptoms do you experience with inflammatory bowel disease?

Comment from: Best browneyes 600, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 19

I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease in 2000. In 1999 I almost died. My doctor had never heard of Crohns. I am serious. I was treated for appendicitis. I was very sick I lost 60 lbs in less than two months. I spent 12 days in the hospital with my doctor treating me for appendicitis. I was hurting in my right side so bad that Vicodin 10, Percocet 10 and Demerol 50 wasn't phasing it. They had to give me 4mg of morphine every 4 hours. Also I ended up throwing up my bowels it was nasty and smelled so bad it was awful. So in 2000 I had that pain again and that is when my doctor found my appendix. So then he sent me to a gastrologist. He did a CT scan and found that I had Crohn's bad. The surgeon did a 10 hour surgery on me to get me better. He said it looked like a bomb went off in my bowels. I was beefy red inside and my fever was over 106 degrees. The pain of Crohn's is very bad. I still have a little trouble. In 2007 I had my second surgery with it. Now I am on Remicade every 8 weeks with mp6 daily. I know the pain you all go through with Crohn's and the baggage it brings with it, I hope you all get better soon.

Comment from: bd, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 27

I have been suffering from gas and loose motion.

Comment from: Tired2, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 12

I keep being diagnosed with diverticulitis. Take Cipro and Flagyl 10-14 days and eat a bland diet to let my colon heal. A few days after I am off the antibiotics I started bloating, and I have to take stool softeners, no matter what I eat. I am in pain, mainly my left side abdomen. The pain grows worse, I have chills, slight fever and nausea.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 27

I have chronic explosive diarrhea with a distinct foul smell each time. It is becoming more frequent.

Comment from: buddy777, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

For about the last 6 years I have not been able to hold back my bowel movements. When they hit, they hit no matter where I am. I don't run any fever nor do I have a lack of appetite at all, the only other symptoms I have noticed is that my stomach may feel sick for awhile until the movement has passed and sometimes I'll have a slight pain in my side or back, otherwise not any other big symptoms, these symptoms subside after I have used the bathroom. I find it difficult to go many places unless I am close to a bathroom because I never know when it's going to hit me.

Must Read Articles Related to Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD)

Abdominal Pain (Adults)
Abdominal Pain in Adults Abdominal pain in adults can range from a mild stomach ache to severe pain. Examples of causes of abdominal pain in adults include appendicitis, gallbladder dis...learn more >>
Abdominal Pain in Children
Abdominal Pain in Children Abdominal pain in children can range from trivial to life-threatening. Some possible causes of abdominal pain in children are: infections, food related (food al...learn more >>
Anatomy Involved in Crohn's Disease
Anatomy Involved in Crohn Disease The digestive system is made up of the digestive tract, which is a long series of organs, including the esophagus, the stomach, the small intestine, and the lar...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD):

Inflammatory Bowel Disease - Describe Your Experience

What type of inflammatory bowel disease do you have?