Viewer Comments: Inflammatory Bowel Disease - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD):

Inflammatory Bowel Disease - Describe Your Experience

What type of inflammatory bowel disease do you have?

Comment from: loving daughter, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 10

I have just read several posting's and I can relate to several in the care my mother is receiving (or lack there of). She has been sick for almost three years and lost over 25 lbs. The doctors have treated her with anti-depressants and fiber. The symptons persit with swelling after the second meal of the day to the point of vomiting. She is mal-nourished and now on a liquid diet. We are pushing with the current GI doctor for some answers after several Barium x-rays and CAT scans we do not have any.

Comment from: drleac, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I am a sufferer of Crohns Disease and more recently diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis. Double Whammy! My pain in my lower right quadrant of my stomach was so intense; I was literally bending in half. The frequency of diarrhea is still a consistent problem. (Appx. 7-10 times a day) Still losing weight; approx. 18-19 lbs. so far in almost 2 months. I was also told that I also have narrowing of small intestine, so therefore; I have been taken off any fiber, any fruit, with the exception of bananas and any skinned fruit in which skin has to be removed, and all vegetables except those are to be considered to be root vegetables, which to the best of my knowledge consists of potato, (white and sweet), beets, carrots, parsnips, and most recently discovered that onions are root vegetables. My Dr. has me on Entocort, Flagyl, and was just told to order VSL#3(Probiotics), consisting of live bacteria and germs. I have not yet started that method yet. I will be starting VSL#3 this coming week. I do not know if this information will be helpful to any of the other sufferers out there. All I know is that I am still suffering, though not quite as intense, but nonetheless, still suffering. I truly hope that something will soon help.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I had a surgery due to diverticulosis with pericolonic abscess, consistent with diverticulitis. I had a 7 to 8 months recuperation, and I am not bleeding from my uterus. I went to an obstetrician/gynecologist and he said I have scar tissues. I feel as though I am still not healed from the surgery.

Comment from: mselle, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 02

When i have a flare up, I get gas, fecal incontinence, dry mouth, and fatigue. I have lost 60 pounds in two years. I feel terrible most of the time.

Comment from: BONNIE HewDx, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

Since 2005 I have had sudden onset diarrhea attacks with no gas pain or stomach bubbles or cramps. I have been in public places when suddenly I have brown fouls smelling brown water running down my leg. I can sit on the toilet for up to fifteen minutes after it runs its course, then I feel no pressure. Over these years I have changed my diet several times and it never matters. I can sometimes go for months with no bowel issues and then have it hit me anywhere and happen one day or continue for a week. I have had two colonoscopies and one endoscopy. I don't go much in public anymore or I don't eat. Crohn's is ruled out. I have hypothyroidism. I have two types of diarrhea. The kind you recognize after eating certain foods with warning bubbles and cramps. I have regular stools and 2-3 x a week, I have this rapid onset diarrhea with foul smell.

Published: June 04

I suffer from chronic diarrhea for the last 6 years. It started with pain in my stomach and diarrhea. Now I have no pain. The doctors I saw did colonoscopy and endoscopy, found nothing. One doctor thought it was cancer. Some thought it was my diabetes, but no one knows. I have to stay near a restroom or don't eat. Sometimes I can go without eating for a few hours and still go to the restroom. Late nights are real bad. I miss a lot of sleep sometimes.

Comment from: polly, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I had a diagnosis of colitis in the 70s, and throughout my life have had a "funny" stomach. Now though, things have gone from bad to worse. I have had extremely loose stools since 2011, and I started spotting blood. I use the loo countless times a day. I have severe pain and cramping whilst using the loo, and after eating have stomach and back pain, and then begin to frequent the loo even more.

Must Read Articles Related to Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD)

Abdominal Pain (Adults)
Abdominal Pain in Adults Abdominal pain in adults can range from a mild stomach ache to severe pain. Examples of causes of abdominal pain in adults include appendicitis, gallbladder dis...learn more >>
Abdominal Pain in Children
Abdominal Pain in Children Abdominal pain in children can range from trivial to life-threatening. Some possible causes of abdominal pain in children are: infections, food related (food al...learn more >>
Anatomy Involved in Crohn's Disease
Anatomy Involved in Crohn Disease The digestive system is made up of the digestive tract, which is a long series of organs, including the esophagus, the stomach, the small intestine, and the lar...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD):

Inflammatory Bowel Disease - Symptoms

What symptoms do you experience with inflammatory bowel disease?