Viewer Comments: Ingrown Toenails - Effective Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ingrown Toenails:

Ingrown Toenails - Effective Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your ingrown toenails?

Comment from: A mom, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 20

I have been taking my son to a podiatrist every 6 to 9 months to trim his big toe nails. He has ingrown toenails. She said it is hereditary. There is nothing we can do to prevent it and every so often it will grow into his skin and hurt. I do keep his toes moisturized and nails trimmed, and buy shoes with a roomy toe box. He is now 9 and we started taking him at 5. He tells me when it hurts and I bring him in for a trim. I tell him to think of it as similar to going to the dentist. It is something he will always have to do twice a year his whole life to take care of himself.

Comment from: Bridie Pauline, 55-64 Female Published: March 11

I got great relief and after a few days full healing after making a v shape incision into the nail within one inch of the corner where the ingrown nail was hurting very much. I did not require seeing a specialist at all. Hope this helps someone else.

Comment from: Timtam, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

Go straight to the podiatrist. She removed the section of the nail giving me the trouble in 5 minutes.

Comment from: paininthetoe, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 06

I have had ingrown toenails for all my life. Finally at age 36 I had surgery to have the entire nail bed on each big toe removed. Now here is the worst part for about three years I had no problems because I had no toenails. After that they grew back on both big toes. I now have the big toenails back and they are as ingrown as before! Painful is not even the proper word for how it feels. I am now 50 and thinking about looking for another podiatrist to see!

Comment from: desperate me, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: January 11

My son has been having problems with ingrown toenails for years now. It had been surgically removed about several times because of recurrence.

Comment from: nowpainfree, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I have been battling with an ingrown toenail for about six months. I did the soaks and multiple rounds of antibiotics. I recently went to the podiatrist, and he cut the ingrown sides of the toenail out. The numbing medication did hurt, but in the end it was worth it. I recommend going to the podiatrist and letting them take care of the toenail. Messing with the toenail can make it grow deeper and increases your chance of infection.

Comment from: CariC, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I was only 15 when I got my first ingrown toenail and after weeks of suffering I went to the local doctor and had them surgically removed from both big toes. Now two years later I am having the same problem but on the other side of the toe. But I recommend surgery to remove them so that they don't come back. There was little pain and it was easy to clean and take care of them and I was walking fine the next day.

Comment from: Steph, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 29

I injured my toe at work about nine months ago, and my whole nail was ripped off pretty much. The new one that grew back was looking rather normal. However, within the last months, I've been feeling pain in the outer corner of my tow and I fear that I'm starting to have an ingrown toenail. Any suggestions are appreciated, and I wonder how painful it is to go to a doctor to have this taken care of.

Published: April 05

In the past, my sister had ingrown toenails, partially due to pointed-toe shoes, but she was told to clip a small "v" in the growth of the nail. This was to relieve pressure at the irritated corner & allow the nail to grow back normally. It worked for my father, as well, as he was a Type 1 diabetic.

Comment from: blinddog, 55-64 (Patient) Published: February 19

Thanks very much for the posting about ingrown toenails. I have been diabetic for more that forty years so I try to take very good care of my feet. The home care page really helped. I didn't know about rolling a wick. Thanks again.

Comment from: lululover, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

I have continued to have problems with ingrown nails on both of my big toes. I had been going regularly to the nail place to have pedicures. They would dig into the side of my nail to give me relief but it just was getting too deep. So, I highly recommend going to your local podiatrist. Don't attempt to do this yourself. Seek professional help. The podiatrist numbed my toe and cut both sides of the outer nail and used some type of acid to kill the root so that the side nail will never grow back. A little painful at first but worth the money and no future worries. I did both of my big toes and am glad I finally did!!!

Must Read Articles Related to Ingrown Toenails

Abscess
Abscess An abscess is has several causes and can appear on many parts of the body, such as the dental, vaginal, and rectal areas. In general, home remedies or cures are...learn more >>
Antibiotics
Antibiotics Antibiotics are prescribed to individuals to cure disease by killing bacteria. There are over 100 antibiotics. The main classes of antibiotics include penicilli...learn more >>
Chemotherapy
Chemotherapy Chemotherapy or "chemo" is a treatment for cancer. Depending on the type of cancer an individual has, it can cure cancer, control cancer. or ease cancer symptom...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ingrown Toenails:

Ingrown Toenails - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with ingrown toenails?

Ingrown Toenails - Treatment

What was the treatment for your ingrown toenails?